Tuesday 30 October 2012

The share button…

Just because you have a cute son, daughter, nephew, niece, grandson or granddaughter it isn’t a good reason to plaster pictures of him or her all over Facebook. Apart from the fact that they are out there for ever, can come back to haunt or be used against the child in a future that none of us can see, it’s also dangerous.

You know, try as I might I can’t find a picture of Jimmy Savile as a child on the web. There must be some gathering dust in a family album somewhere; all dark leaved sugar paper and photo hinges and, although this isn’t my point, better there than on Facebook. If there had been pictures of him as a child posted on Facebook they’d be all over the papers by now, just so we could see the evil in the eyes of the Savile brat… and we would see it wouldn’t we? We always do: ‘you can see he was always odd, just look in his eyes,’ we’d say.

And of course as I said yesterday; you can’t tell a Hitler, a Sutcliffe or Thatcher simply by looking at a childhood photograph. That sweet looking kid could just as easily grow up to massacre his classmates as become a medal-winning hero.

But there’s another much more important point I want to make that might make us all think twice about posting pictures of cute, sugar-dipped, children on the web.

Now, I’m not one to overly worry about these things for myself, after all I’m an adult and throwing me out there on the web for all to see is my choice. If it draws negative response and nastiness, even abuse - which it has at times - I think that I’m big enough to handle it. After all, it is my choice and I am an adult.

Unfortunately when we post pictures of young family or friends they have no choice at all, nor are they aren’t old enough to do anything about it. There they are for every aspect of the world to see, even paw at should they wish to.

‘No, it’s only a picture.’ I hear you say ‘It’s only there for my friends and family, there can’t be any harm in that, can there.’

Yes, you’d think not; but what about the ‘share’ button?

Not so long ago a mother posted a picture of her daughter on Facebook. Jessie and her friend looked so cute dressed in their Manchester United kits, so sweet with their sunny smiles; her Facebook friends were just going to love it.

One of Sharon’s friends, Annie, who was a learning support assistant at the same primary school where Sharon worked, liked it so much that she shared it with her Facebook friends too and they all loved it as well, commenting on what pretty girls they were and how cute they looked in their United football kits.

One of Annie’s friends, Maxine, who used to work with Annie as a teaching assistant at another school, shared it with her Facebook friends and suddenly hundreds of people were seeing these two innocent girls in their Manchester kits on Facebook.

The comments flew. How cute, adorable, gorgeous, so grown up, so pretty and full of life – like – like – like – like – like – like - like.

When Maxine, who was now a teaching assistant at a secondary school in Sowham, shared the picture of Jessica and Holly it went to her good friend Ian.

Ian liked it too.

I wonder why, in a world where we can’t even take pictures of our own children being angels in the school nativity, we feel it’s okay to post their pictures on Facebook? Why would we want the world to see our children, wouldn’t it be better to keep them close, send pictures privately by e-mail? Children aren’t kittens, which is another story, but how can we be sure who’s going to look at our pictures and how can we know what they are thinking as they look?

Of course these things happen, but after the police had arrested Ian Huntley they found the picture of Jessica and Holly in a folder on his computer. The folder was named ‘Share’.

Note: I was told this by a very old friend who is in a position to know. He also told me that this type of targeting is common. I see no reason to disbelieve him, but true or not it still should make us all think.

15 comments:

  1. Nick Jones Not true.
    The Soham murders took place a couple of years before Facebook's inception. But as you say, it's food for thought.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height Thanks Nick. I didn't know that. I still think my friend a reliable source but he may have made his point in this way to 'muddy' something else - he is quite senior. But yes, it is I think and important point and yes, I do believe it happens.

      Delete
  2. Lindsey Messenger wow....it sure does make you think!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting if slightly scary. Thanks Andy for a great blog x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon Hutt Good points. I thought however that if you set your pictures to be viewed by friends only then they couldnt be shared. Im more worried about my 14 yrar old niece who happily posts pictures of herself after dressing up, often with her very young sister in the background. I often try to advise her to take things down but she rarely understands why and gets very bolshy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicky Matson Yeah, fb came after and I always check my privacy settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but even so. I wish I could tell you more.

      Delete
  6. David Searle on FB
    Hands up as being in the "guilty" group, but I'm afraid I don't agree with the premise that parents should change their behaviour as part of some time of "risk mitigation" strategy - to do this is both depressing and ultimately pointless. Yes there are sick, bad, evil people in this world, but unfortunately there always have been and always will be. Maybe Huntley did get a photo from some pre-Facebook network, but Sutcliffe certainly didn't. Your children have to live in society and hundreds of people will see them everyday, on the way to the nursery, park, school etc. Sadly some of them will be perverted, psychopathic or just plain evil. There are also fundamentalists out there who may object to my daughter's clothes or appearance in a few years time but this doesn't mean we should change our behaviour or society to pacify / placate them. We find it easy to identify bogeymen and gain comfort from believing we have taken prudent steps to avoid them, but statistically the real risks to children remain roads, cars and even horses. Finally, having said all of that, I do indeed have my FB settings so that my photos can

    ReplyDelete
  7. Richard Shore on FB
    The problem with this line of logic is that you wind up too scared to do anything. Savile and his kind make great bogey men, but the uncomfortable truth is that 8 out of 10 abused kids know their aL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. buser, and the vast majority is within families.

      Delete
  8. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    I think where there is a will there is a way for any sick person to target any of us. We shouldn't modify behaviour based on rare occurrences. This is the culture which has seen children become prisoners in their homes. I used to play out at 5 years looked after by my 8/9 year old sisters in the park. There were 'dodgy' men with an 'odd' past and we knew who they were. They were harassed by us rather than the other way round. I wouldn't be trapped by such fears I'd like to think but then it is easy to say without kids. However I have many nieces and nephews to be concerned about. It would be shame if my neighbours didn't let me chat to their kids over the garden fence for fear of my motives. I have fond memories of chatting with the neighbours when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda Kemp on FB
    I agree, we can't stop doing everything "in case" - we'd never go out or let our kids out of our sight. Trust your kids, talk to them, listen to them, and let them learn how to manage risks. Sadly there will always be nasty people about, but we can't tailor our behaviour to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew Height
    You know what my friends you are all right and I support your views entirely. Maybe it is because I'm recently a grandfather who winces every time a picture of his grandson is posted. I have my reasons, I won't tell you what they are, but I really wish his pictures were in an album to be brought out for them that know him not some pervert that happened into his family's life. Maybe I'm overprotective, not that I'm the best of grandads, but I worry.Security settings? What fucking nonsense, but we have to take the risk. Yes? Yes.

    Andrew Height I need to write about lighter things. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Richard Shore on FB
    You need to write about what you need to write about.

    ReplyDelete