Wednesday 3 October 2012

Last of the garden...

Quick, catch it while you can: the last rays of my sunflowers, the last sunflowers of the season. Outside, through the window my little garden, so colourful and green just a few weeks ago, is riding out its last as well. The blackfly have won over the nasturtiums, kissing them with their blackness, and the last couple of weeks, all wet and blow, have beaten down mostly everything else to a sodden mess of damply decomposing brown.

Hard to believe this straggly stuff is the seeds I so carefully planted back in the spring, opening up my seed drawer before the frosts had passed and hoping.

Oh well, soon it be time for the tidying away, the pulling of plants and the planting out of my foxgloves ready for the spring pinkness. Perhaps this year I will do what I always promise and put away a few plants in the cold-frame. Who knows, I may even save the chocolate cosmos.

4 comments:

  1. Sharon Taylor on FB
    Save the chocolate cosmos and send me a cutting! I have moved my geraniums and new guinea busy lizzie in to the green house tonight so I know the feeling. Look after your plants now and they will thank you next year xxx
    20 hours ago · Like · 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Della Jayne Roberts on FB
    Heavy frosts got to the beautiful red geraniums in their pots; turning a lot of them black and soggy.
    But it's given me the opportunity to prepare the bed and replant .... My day, your night; Spring for me, Autumn for you ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Della Jayne Roberts on FB
    Some of last years flowers in the hanging baskets are springing back to life! Even some rhubarb plants gave regenerated. It's a funny old topsy turvy world! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    Can we expect to see some winter pansies hanging around your back passage soon then ?

    ReplyDelete