Sunday 21 October 2012

Bowie is dead…

Bowie is dead. Well, not actually dead but as close to dead as any musician can be if the papers are to be believed. David Bowie, one of the greatest composers to have ever lived hasn’t written anything in six years apparently. Instead he stumbles around New York just managing to pick up his daughter from school. He’s even started calling himself David Jones – well, it is his name.

Of course Mr Jones is no Beethoven. No he’s far more versatile than that, reinventing his musical style every few years and mastering it all. I have nothing against Beethoven, in fact I love his work, but most composers tend to stick to a limited sound range, the range that they are comfortable with for their entire career. Beethoven pretty much did, they all do. I said THEY ALL DO.

Take the Stones; they’ve been churning out the same song, over and over, for the last thirty plus years. Oh, the Beatles seemed to try, but of course they couldn’t stand the course.

Innovative, fresh, new – from Newley-esque to New romantic, Pomp to Punk, Soul to Salsa  he’s tried it all. Just where would he go next? Gangsta? Well, wherever he is it’ll be good, it always is.

Not writing? No he’ll be writing, humming away in his head. It’s like breathing to him. How would he stop? If I were to stop blogging (please, I hear you whisper) I would still write, maybe not publish, maybe no even compose, but I’d write in my head - tales, thoughts, opinions. I don’t really have a choice.

No Bowie is still writing songs every day, even if they are about picking his daughter up from school.

Maybe one day we’ll get to hear them.

11 comments:

  1. Alan Shorrock on FB:
    You had me worried until I read the blog... really thought The Thin White Duke had croaked it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'll never die, Didn't you see the Hunger?

      Delete
  2. Alan Shorrock on FB
    i think he has got the right idea... better to bow out gracefully on a high rather than become a tired old man who never realises his time has been and gone... Thinking of Ray Davies performance at the 2012 Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Ray was fine, but I know what you mean. Look at that Elton John. I hope he has some studio stuff up his sleeve. His worst is better that pretty much anything that the pop factories churn out.

      Delete
  3. I always wondered whether there was a power surge at the end of the opening ceremony when thousands turned off McCartney. Dear goodness that hair colour. Bowie for me every time.He doesn't need to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon Taylor on FB
    Give the man a break he is 65 and therefore allowed to retire and he will never be dead as long as people listen to his music. I wish him all the happiness in the world, even if that means he spends his days looking after his daughter, what more could she wish for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I think he way surprise us yet though. Perhaps it'll be worth waiting for.

      Delete
  5. Fraser Stewart on FB
    I admire and respect him for not cashing in on his fame and the fact that he is happy enough with himself to slip into a domestic haze is a sign of real character. Maybe many celebrities should take a leaf out of his book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Good points Fraser. I bet he has an album up his sleeve though. Instrumental I'm hoping. He truly is a superb innovator and composer.

      Delete
  6. Sharon Taylor on FB
    not to mention that he is gorgeous looking too........

    ReplyDelete