Wednesday 19 February 2014

Man’s best friend…

I’m not really a dog lover, I much prefer cats, and one of the reasons for this is pretty basic; dogs scare me a little, in fact the big ones scare me a lot. There I’ve admitted it. I am more than a little nervous around dogs and will cross the street to avoid even the friendliest of mongrels. It isn’t a phobia and I’m sure that I’ve never been bitten by a dog - chased, barked at, worried by, snapped at; but never bitten.

I think my mistrust is probably instinctive. Strange dogs are just that and, as I’ve never owned a dog of my own, I’ve never bonded with one. Of course I pretend to enjoy all that jumping up and licking that some of my friends dogs insist on doing, but really I hate it. It’s all a little too much for me and I’m always aware that behind that licking tongue is a set of very sharp teeth and a powerfully determined jaw. Well, they don’t call ‘never giving in’ dogged for nothing.

Man didn’t domesticate the dog to be a pet. Dogs were trained to be our weapons and by trained I mean we took their natural killing instinct and by force used it to our own benefit. We had dogs to protect us and help us kill things, not to do tricks and wear cute little coats. Corgis, Terriers, Dachshunds, Jack Russells, all so friendly, all trained to kill for man. Just why do you think so many garden gates carry the legend ‘Beware of the dog’?

Of course some breeds are more dangerous than others, Dobermans, Alsatians, Pit Bulls, to name a few. But even the purely decorative Pekingese was originally bred to catch rabbits for their Buddhist monk owners, and those cute Mexican Chihuahuas were used by the Toltecs to keep the rats down.

With the recent spate of dogs killing babies, children, and even young adults it seems that no matter how they appear dogs remain true to themselves. Their instinct is to hunt and, where they are able, to hunt in packs. They aren’t doing anything wrong in their doggy eyes, they are just being dogs. Sometimes I think that it’s very easy to forget that if we didn’t feed our pet dogs, they would turn on us as food to survive.

It’s easy to be wise after the event, terrible to spend your life regretting. If you have a dog, any dog, and a baby or toddler I think that you should keep them apart. Dogs and babies are great and most go together just fine. But sometimes they really don't and it isn't worth taking the chance.

Always remember that dogs bite. It's what they have teeth for.

17 comments:

  1. Fraser Stewart on FB
    I think I'll settle for a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fraser Stewart on FB
    It's worrying that dogs are Man's best friends. That means they might share the same characteristics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Height on FB
    Yes. Dogs and their owners and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carmel Payne on FB
    I'll stick to my stuck-up, independent , fat bastard of a cat , who looks at me with what I can only describe as contempt on his face on a daily basis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fraser Stewart on FB
    That's what cats are there for.
    1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fraser Stewart on FB
    Yep. Sounds just about right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martin A W Holmes on FB
    Watching the news last night, t'Beloved was saying much the same thing - You can have dogs and young children in the same room, but you shouldn't ever, EVER leave them alone together...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cloe Fyne on FB
    Awful isn't it , these kids getting mauled to death

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carmel Payne on FB
    Very sad

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew Height
    Not great. Don't encourage dogs around kids. It's bad news. Poodles, corgis, beagles were all bred for hunting and have all killed babies and toddlers. Remember, dogs are mainly hungry muscle with sharp teeth. What does anyone expect to happen?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrew Height
    If you want a pet and a baby then Google 'cat kills baby'. Then decide what animal, if any, you want. By the way goldfish, hamster, rabbit, budgie are all available too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathryn Salthouse on FB
    I agree no matter how good your dog is you should never let it get anywhere near a baby, they mistake a small child for a toy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda Kemp on FB
    a lady on the radio said the dog thinks a baby crying is an injured animal that needs to be put out of its misery Pure instinct - you can't blame the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Andrew Height on FB
    Agreed Linda. We bred dogs to hunt and they do what they do because of that. We shouldn't blame the dog. Should we blame the parents though when our society calls dogs man's best friend and idolises puppies? Never leave a dog with a small child and even as adults be wary of them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clare Pritchard on FB
    I dread it every time i take Bella to her dads, absolutely dread it, he has two pumped up dogs, one an american bull dog and another which is a staffie. It isn't those breeds fault for being singled out for looking agressive, but unfortunately knobhead trains them like guard dogs rather than a family pet. When i hear of incidents which have recently happened it makes me really reluctant to take Bella anywhere near her fathers...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fraser Stewart on FB
    Children and animals a re a nervous mix. I can't relax when my boy wants to pat a strange dog. I have to look at the breed, etc. But even then there's no way of know how the dog will react. Even with dogs I know I keep an eye on it when Aaron wants to play with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joan McGee on FB
    The majority of us live urban lives and we have forgotten how brutal nature and its animals can be.We treat our pets like cute cuddly toys which they are not.We like to think that our cats and dogs are loyal but if they needed to they would eat us to stay alive.

    ReplyDelete