Monday 24 February 2014

February – wet back yard…

Sometimes things have to be done despite the weather and crows.

I was hoping for a sunny day yesterday so that I could get out into my tiny back yard and start to get it ready for spring. It didn’t happen. Instead the day was as grey and grumbley as my mood.

It’s that time of year I guess. I can feel the black crows flying, even when the skies are clear. Sometimes I’m sure I can hear the beating of their wings, their caws as the snap at each other. It’s just my mood.

Pulling on my old kagool I ventured out into the damp, telling myself, as I dragged it over my head, that gardening is better done in the rain. The soil is more likely to give up last year's dead plants in the damp and wet leaves are easier to rake than dry.

It seems that I’ve become good at lying to myself as none of this was true. The wet leaves clung, the sodden soil leaked through my gardening gloves; a thing I rarely wear. Even the simple cutting back of ivy became a battle as the snails, which to my surprise were everywhere, came out to play.

It took me a couple of hours of cutting, raking, shell crushing, digging and brooming. Pots were emptied of weeds and last years stragglers. Sickly trailing nasturtiums were put out of their misery. Empty pots were upturned. A wheelie bin full of last year’s garden produced. It looked quite tidy by the time I’d finished. Empty, but tidy and ready for whatever whim takes me this time around; sweet peas maybe, something highly scented to catch the breeze and waft.

Looking at the empty pots and beds, I tried to remember how they had looked last year and for a second I almost caught a glimpse of what had been. But then the crows battered my thoughts away. Damn the crows. Hurry along spring, I need colour.

Watch this space.

24 comments:

  1. Emma Cholmondeley on FB
    Still looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height
    Can't wait for June. I love my little yard in June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma Cholmondeley on FB
    It's amazing how different the garden looks in June. Ours is the same, although a little bigger. It almost cares for itself in the Summer Roll on being able to sit out and feel the sun on your face, Pimms in hand and the smell of the good old barbie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew Height
    Sounds good to me. I hate the end of summer when the plants go crazy, but until then I'm with you and the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmel Payne on FB
    Wish my garden was smaller as yours looks quite low maintenance . Having said that , I suppose it depends on what you're contemplating planting over spring/summer ? My garden looks best in May I seem to remember . And yes, roll on spring !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carmel Payne on FB
    Oh and I love moss on brickwork

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon Taylor opn FB
    like most people this year you have a lot of moss; I have loads and can't decide whether I like it or not! In its favour it is green, but against it is slippery and not good for the brickwork, I will probably wait until we have some sunshine and that should solve it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew Height
    My garden is always damp and mossy (ooo err). It is low maintenance by design. However I have taken over my Mother in Laws garden also. Watch this veggie space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catherine Halls-Jukes on FB
    Need to do mine.roll on light evenings when I can get out and do it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue Mcnally on FB
    I just went to London and forgot about my garden want to go to Kew but it costs £16 to get in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mark McNicholas on FB
    I echo your sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alan Shorrock on FB
    So who's in the shallow grave this year?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paul Whitehouseon FB
    Did you take out the 'trash' too ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It really is a back yard Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sharon Hutt on FB
    Today I can safely say I did none of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrew Height
    I feel great! Tomorrow I can open the kitchen blinds and see order. What the fuck else is there?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Andrew Height
    Shallow grave = Well Al it was a random thing. You know how it is: you look for Andy B D Bickerdike but when he's not there anyone will do. This time it was Alan Titchmarsh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alan Shorrock
    The great FB cull.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Andrew Height
    No not Andy B D Bickerdike. I've stopped culling even though there are so many twats to chop - not you though Al. Mainly family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sue Mcnally on FB
    It's great to see a tidy garden

    ReplyDelete
  21. Alan Shorrock on FB
    You know what they say.... Tidy garden.... Trimmed bush!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sue Mcnally on FB
    Al lol how did I know u would say that Omsk

    ReplyDelete
  23. Malcolm Chorley on FB
    You should always keep your back yard tidy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alan Shorrock on FB
    This is starting to sound like an episode of Celebrity Juice.... Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete