Monday 10 February 2014

Ray guns...

Ray Guns – Come on boys, what’s not to love?

It was all space adventure when I was a boy - Dan Dare, Lost in Space, Bleep and Booster, Doctor Who, Forbidden Planet and (Yes, I know I’ve said it before) Klaatu barada nikto! Later it was Star Trek. But somehow I never fancied a Phaser; Phasers didn’t look ‘spacey’ enough, in fact they looked more like a cross between a hairdryer and an electric drill than a galactic alien monster destroyer.

No, I wanted a proper Ray Gun, one of those guns that I guess we’d call retro today, all fins and twiddles, flashing lights and fire. How I longed for a Dan Dare Ray Gun, the red and silver one, the Cosmic, the one with the green, white and red beams. They were available direct from The Eagle for around ten week’s pocket money. I started to save, but somehow I never quite managed to stop munching Blackjacks and Fruit Salads for long enough to save up enough to buy one. Besides they weren’t making them any more. My Eagle Annual was from the mid-fifties and the Cosmic was a thing of the past – retro even then.

The closest I came to Dan Dare’s Cosmic Ray Gun was a red ray gun water pistol bought off the Tuesday market. It was okay, but not really a ray gun. Real ray guns made a clattery noise when you pressed in the trigger and shot sparks not water.

I guess that I was just born too late.

10 comments:

  1. Actually, I know that I was born too fucking late. Set ray guns to kill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fraser Stewart on FB
    Brillant fun…a true loss of innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin Parrott on FB
    Always wanted a Dan Dare one.. they go for £100s on eBay when they come up.
    http://www.vintagetoysgames.co.uk/dan_dare_supersonic_ray...ht!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew Height on FB
    I know Kevin. I've even bid on a couple. One day at a car boot sale....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew Height
    Well, I can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carmel Payne on FB
    Nope.....I had clackers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew Height
    I heard that Carmel Payne. Are they still clacking

    Andrew Height
    I take it they are then

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carmel Payne on FB
    Sadly , no. The clackers I'm referring to were wrapped around the top of a lamppost in Blackley in 1974.
    The clackers you're referring to are still with me and are doing well

    Carmel Payne
    1 p in lampost .....f***ing predictive text !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew Height
    I'm not a sticler fr spellig. But Clackers? Well, they need to be just right!

    ReplyDelete