Sunday 16 February 2014

Beans or spaghetti hoops (2)...

Beans or spaghetti hoops? That is the question.

I think that I may have touched on this subject before, but there are some situations when only the foods of our childhood will do. The foods we ate as the rain poured down and we couldn’t go outside to play or managed, for once, to convince our mums that we didn’t feel very well and couldn’t go to school that day. Wet day off school foods - boiled eggs with toasted soldiers, tinned tomatoes, beans, and spaghetti hoops.

We all have our favourite ‘make things better’ foods, mine’s beans on toast although sometimes it’s tinned spaghetti; the long wormy stuff, not the hoops and certainly not the alphabetti. I never could face alphabetti spaghetti. Perhaps it was all the potential words; I’d spend so long looking at it, making some that I’d never get around to eating it.

These days beans on toast is my late night ‘something’s wrong but I’m not sure what’ food. A plateful of beans on toast and the world seems doable once again, at least for a while; it’s my facing the world food.

What’s yours?

12 comments:

  1. Brace yourself for a sad story(well not that sad). Last year my mother at the age of 88 had a major stroke, followed by another some weeks later, She died some 6 weeks after her first stroke but that isn't the point of the story. In that time she could only eat food that had been mashed or in the case of liquids, thickened...yuck. Anyway sitting with her one day discussing the hospital menu I asked her what she would like to eat if she could have whatever she wanted. The answer " Bread and butter" and you know I think she is right. Life is pretty grim without decent bread and butter, not the way I would like to go but we don't get to choose.
    Sorry not meaning to be dismal, she was 88 and had a good healthy life to then.
    But bread and butter gets my vote and thanks mum for making me appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Michele that is a sad story. But you make a great point about enjoying the simple things while we can. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Maxine Noble
    Niether - common food !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Height
    Get you Maxine. La di da!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maxine Noble on FB
    I am in no way a food snob but both are disgusting !!! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cloe Fyne on FB
    Tell you what's really common but still great..... Spaghetti and sausages in a tin! Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula Braham on FB
    Depends what your having with them. Beans on toast with a fried egg on top is a favourite of mine, but love hoops with sausages too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz Shore Tomato on FB
    soup or mashed potato with cheese .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fraser Stewart on FB
    Either way it will be a big fart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emma Cholmondeley on FB
    It's got to be mature cheddar on toast with a splash of worstershire sauce!!! Delish ;-D yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paul Kesterton on FB
    Years ago when I had Level 1 Man Flu my wife made me a baked bean and cheese pie. Dellissshhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cloe Fyne on FB
    Beans beans beans. Cold or hot I don't care! On bread , toast , potato , with cheese or mushroom mixed in. Always beans.

    ReplyDelete