Sunday 2 February 2014

The capital of Peru...

What is the capital of Peru?

Is it ‘Capital’ or ‘Capitol’? Personally I always err on the ‘a’ side. But it seems that either can be used correctly. Anyway, what is the capital or capitol of Peru? I thought that it was one of those things that every schoolboy would know but…

I may have touched on this before, but what’s happened to education? When I was at school I seemed to have all sorts of facts thrown at me daily and I even managed to absorb some of them. What am I talking about? Well, I was a little dismayed by one young chap recently who when asked what the capital city of Peru was replied: ‘What’s a capital city?’ After having it explained to him, he then went on to ask: ‘Is Peru a country then?’

Even more worrying was that this particular young man went to Grammar School, left with three good ‘A’ levels, and drives around in a BMW.

Actually, thinking about it perhaps that explains it.

Now I don’t purport that learning by rote is a good thing and there really is a huge place in education for creativity and learning through experiencing things, play, and problem solving. But you aren’t going to learn your times tables by being creative and there are some facts that you just have to be told over and over until you remember them.

Of course, education doesn’t begin and end with school. I spent years watching ‘Blue Peter’, ‘Zoo Time’, and ‘How?’ and a lot of my general knowledge was absorbed simply by watching the telly. These days there don’t seem to be many programmes that make any attempt to give an insight into anything other than popular culture and celebrity.

And whilst we are on the subject of celebrity.

Why is it that almost all the quiz shows are now just vehicles for ‘B’ list celebs to make complete fools of themselves by not being able to answer the simplest questions? I’m amazed by their lack of general knowledge, I’m amazed by how much I seem to know in comparison and, whilst I consider myself to be educated, I don’t think that  I’m any more knowledgeable that most of my generation.

There I go playing the old fuddy-duddy card again.

Let’s make it worse.

I’m probably one of the last generation who as children read books from the library, listened to Radio 4, went for walks on our own in the countryside, climbed trees, played games outside in all weathers, were taught things by repeating what we were told over and over, were punished if we were badly behaved or lazy, and had toys that weren’t dependent on electricity to make them work.

Yes, I know that all of that has been said before and is a lot of a cliché.

But at least I know what and where Lima is. 

12 comments:

  1. Pauline Campbell Lima

    Paul Eddison P

    Sharon Hutt lima?

    Andy B D Bickerdike Lived there.

    Louisa Morgan Lima

    Andrew Height
    Lucky man Andy B D Bickerdike. So you should know the answer?

    Louisa Morgan
    Is that all you're after Mr Height? Geographical knowhow? Somehow I think not...

    Andy B D Bickerdike
    Cuzco.. Under Incan rule

    Andrew Height
    Louisa Morgan I'd like a nice kebab. If that isn't an oxymoron. Back home in southport?

    Louisa Morgan
    A nice kebab would be awesome. No, I'm still in Timperley, back in Southport tomorrow afternoon sometime

    Liam Reeve
    Been there.

    Andrew Height
    What Timperley Liam Reeve?

    Liam Reeve
    Lima, Cuzco, Southport and Timperley.

    Andrew Height
    In which place did you find the best kebab Liam Reeve?

    Andrew Height
    Really nice to see you today Louisa Morgan and so happy that you have what sounds like an awesome (shit I just turned into an American) life these days.

    Louisa Morgan
    It's the use of the word 'awesome' isn't it that seems so Americano? Things are OK, a lot has changed since I saw you last!

    Liam Reeve
    I can't comment on kebabs, but I did have a nice Alpaca Pizza in Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca

    Fraser Stewart
    Don't know. Stop thinking of Peru since the 1978 World Cup Finals.

    Karen Scrace
    Lima

    Lorna Gleadell
    Best kebab. .....Nefyn !!!

    Richard Shore
    Deepest darkest?

    Fraser Stewart
    Peru 3 Scotland 1 so yes, deepest darkest.

    Gary Thorley
    P for the awkward. Lima for the factual. Banana for the surrealist.

    Andrew Height
    I like Banana best

    Lynda Henderson
    lima

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fraser Stewart on FB
    And I know that Paris is the Capital of Germany and Berlin is the Capital of France. Or is it the other way round?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon Taylor on FB
    Lima - isn't that the hometown of Paddington Bear?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fraser Stewart
    No…he's from Paddington, West London.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie Patzuk
    Lima - is that where the beans come from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Height
    He definitely came from Peru. Ask Jeremy Clarkson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fraser Stewart
    I stand corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew Height
    Actually Fraser, you are right. If you ever get down my way come and have a few drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew Height
    Drop in any time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew Height
    Maggie Patzuk It's where everything comes from!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tim Preston commented on FB
    Tim wrote: "I can't agree Andy. From my recent experience people learn a lot faster when they're happy and interested than knowing they'll get a kick in the balls for doing it "wrong". Teachers of my kid have said they cant teach him cos he doesnt want to get involved. He doesnt want to get involved cos he doesnt like it cos he gets names called at him, pushed around and certain teachers hate him cos they cant understand him. I can understand them - I hate him sometimes- I dont think his teachers can comprehend that he just wants people to be NICE to him. Is that too much to ask? Aparently it is. I am really pissed about this :-("
    Reply to this email to comment on this photo.

    ReplyDelete