Friday 7 February 2014

Vintage...

The best thing about wine is the wine. Listen, I’m no wine buff, but I know what I like and that’s basically a nice Merlot or Cabernet and you can forget the vintage as long as it tastes good and lifts the clouds.

It was while I was drinking a nice recreational bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 last night that I got to thinking about vintage; the word that is, not the wine. Wine’s like that for me. It focuses my mind on the strangest things and I have to rush for a pen and write them down before the wine makes me forget.

Vintage.

Now I work (as I laughingly call it) in a place where everything is vintage ‘this’ and shabby chic ‘that’, retro or up-cycled. My working world is awash with pink and cream and duck egg blue and apparently everything vintage is ‘GORGEOUS!’ (or so the ladies declare) even those horribly tacky cheruby things, even those pieces of horrendously kitsch faux Louis XIV painted furniture. Of course to my eyes it all looks a tad too chintzy, a pose, tacky even; the kind of stuff a stuck-up maiden aunt might like, all too Parisian: Maurice Chevalier – Eiffel Tower – Dubonnet.

Vintage has become one of those words that get’s bandied about far too often; so often that it’s almost lost its meaning. Vintage is about the year a wine was made, purely and simply, and the clue is in the word: ‘Vin’ meaning ‘Wine’ and ‘Age’ meaning ‘Age’. I have no idea what the ‘T’ is for.

Vintage isn’t meant to be used to describe anything in a distressed and shabby state. It’s about wine! Ebay is full of ‘vintage’ this and ‘vintage’ that, but as a word it’s only really helpful if it’s misused alongside the decade that the item was made. ‘Vintage Sixties’ at least gives you a ballpark idea of the era that whatever piece of tat you fancy belonged in. The word vintage alone tells you nothing, it’s meaningless.

It’s generally accepted that an antique has to be 100 years old and older. Anything younger than 100 years could be vintage if you insist on misusing the word. That makes 20’s and 30’s vintage, and 40’s, 50’s, even 60’s probably. But I struggle to see how anything from the 70s or 80s is vintage in any way.

Of course there are some things described as vintage that have a defined time slot associated to them. A vintage car is generally a car built between 1919 and the end of 1930. Anything before that is a veteran (unless it’s 100 years old and an antique), and anything before vintage a classic; although there seems to be little agreement on exactly what the term ‘classic’ means. Cars between 30 and 49 years old are generally accepted as classic by many, but I’m sure second-hand car salesmen everywhere would disagree – particularly when they have 1992 Mondeo to shift.

Perhaps as the pace of change speeds up even faster, and things become redundant more quickly, things will become ‘vintage’ after only a handful of years. It certainty seems to be happening in the geeky world of gaming with redundant consoles and computer games changing hands for silly prices. Maybe an eighties Care Bear or Cabbage Patch Doll really is vintage to a five year old child; perhaps it’s even an antique. Maybe it’s all about perception.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all for hanging on to things, up-cycling to make things look more attractive, recycling to give them new life and purpose. But I can’t stand the meaningless vintage sales label.

Rant over; I really do have too much time on my hands. I think I’ll stick with the wine; pour me another glass. Cheerio!

17 comments:

  1. Joan McGee on FB
    Very funny.Laughing so much that I nearly spilt my vintage wine on my vintage retro dress and my up cycled shabby chic retro vintage confused.com chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height on FB
    I'm so glad that you get my sense of humour Joan McGee. A lot don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kieran Goodwin on FB
    I'm after a bit of 60's / 70's furniture but its all 'vintage' now and for some reason costs £££'s for something you'd have thrown out 5 years ago. I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew Height
    If you want something Kieran let me know what you want. I know a few people who might be able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kieran Goodwin on FB
    I'd better drop in and see you again then

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephen Entwistle
    Big in Canada I believe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louisa Morgan on FB
    A lot to get wound up about... just keep calling it shabby shit and leave it at that

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephen Entwistle on FB
    Or maybe just leave the word 'shabby' off Louisa's suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew Height
    Be nice to see you Kieran Goodwin. We are having a Vintage fair on 8 March, might be a good time to drop in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. David Bell on FB
    I'm vintage which makes me duck egg blue sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mike King on FB
    I'm into CornishWare which is blue and is vintage and retro but hopefully not shabby (it used to be made down the road from here)... but bloody hell the 2nd hand prices are steep. Maybe lots of people like shit... as the old adage written on many a toilet wall goes "eat shit - 1,000,000's of flies can't be wrong". Come and join us

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fraser Stewart on FB
    I have a vintage pen. Bought during the vintage period of December 2013. Yours for a reasonable offer of £1.5 million. Can't be fairer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Martin A W Holmes on FB
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BUnvgKhWZdI...

    I Saw You Coming 1. Harry and Paul
    www.youtube.com
    I Saw you Coming 1 sketch by Harry and Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Andrew Height
    Martin A W Holmes that is so true. I see it all the time - Larfed my ead off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alan Shorrock I'll drink to that.

    Clare Pritchard correct!!!

    Vicky Sutcliffe mmmmm wheres the white rioja?

    Neil Barrett Red

    David Bell Blue Nun?

    Vicky Sutcliffe Mateus Rose

    Vicky Sutcliffe Black Towe!

    David Bell Black Tower and Black Forest Gateau

    Lindsey Messenger Mmmmm a nice glass of Rose....cheers

    David Bell Vicky - just had a flashback to many many years ago when it was fashionable to stick a candle in an empty Mateus Rose bottle. So chic.

    Andrew Height I can let you have a vintage Mateus Rose bottle with the words 'Ding Dong' painted in gold vintage lettering for 50 quid. Message me your bank account details.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fraser Stewart on FB
    I've met people like that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I have some shit you will be interested Fraser. Vintage disposable cameras, never used, still sealed, very rare. Shall we say £800 for all ten

      Delete