Thursday 17 October 2013

Balaclava time...

Forget hoodies. As the year prepares to close, getting colder and darker, I find myself thinking about balaclavas.

Ah, the good old balaclava. Knitted by hand on clickety-click needles by nans up-and-down the country with variants including built-in scarves, cap peaks, ear holes, ear flaps, bobbles, cape-like collars, and of course the full face which left only holes for your eyes, nose and mouth.

Yes, forget hoodies. If you really want to appear threatening on the streets the balaclava could be the fashion item for you.

Of course back in my boyhood everyone wore balaclavas as the weather got colder and colder. Each year my nan would knit me yet another, and I remember looking forward to the first really cold day so that I could drag on my new balaclava. Up and over, then down around the neck, I felt like a knight in chain-mail walking along in a fierce force-something gale. It kept my face snug, if a little itchy, as I pretended to be a North Pole explorer, trudging my way through the fallen leaves to school.

Of course Polar explorers were still all the rage back then. Well, we still had a reasonable Empire, Edward Hillary had just recently climbed Everest and Roald Amundson had only disappeared without trace a mere thirty years earlier. At school our world map was still half pink, homes burnt coal, and wool was wool and not synthetics.

I favoured the half-face, a headpiece both practical and stylish with a band of wool which fully covered the mouth to just below the nose, leaving both it and your eyes exposed. Balaclavas were warm, even on the coldest days a thin film of sweat would cover your face underneath the scratchy wool - perhaps that’s why I was so prone to cold sores.

Interestingly, despite my mini-terrorist look, not once did a little old lady cross the road to avoid me. Nor was I watched suspiciously in shops and even when there was a group of balaclava clad boys - larking about under the street lamps as the light faded - the police never came to move us on. Perhaps it was the short trousers and knee socks.

Of course, since then the balaclava has become a favourite headgear of terrorists, bank robbers and sexual deviants. It’s no longer the cold weather garb of small boys and arctic explorers,

I wonder what would happen today if a group of teenage boys wandered into a modern day equivalent of Woolworths with their faces covered by woollen face masks?

Different times.

19 comments:

  1. can anyone guess who the model for 9 to 13 years is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    Only wear mine in the bedroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Lone balaclava wearing can be treated these days Paul. How are the palms? Still shaving them?

      Delete
  3. Kevin Parrott on FB
    When I was 5 to about 7, in winter my Mum sent me to school wearing the balaclava my Dad wore in the Royal Navy during the war. She used to pull it down over my shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Kevin you always need a balaclava I bet that you loved wearing your dads.

      Delete
    2. Kevin Parrott on FB
      I did love wearing it Andy, I wish I still had it.

      Delete
  4. Liz Shore on FB
    A boy in my class last year wore a hand-knit balaclava all winter. I do believe his imagination would have taken him exploring in the Arctic at playtime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cloe Fyne on FB
    Who is it?

    Cloe Fyne
    Is it you?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cloe Fyne on FB
    Michael buble it looks like

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephen Entwistle on FB
    give us a clue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen Entwistle on FB
      Got it!! Richard the Lionheart!

      Delete
  8. 9 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height
    I was 9 at the time it was taken.

    Andrew Height
    Almost Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andy Brewer on FB
    I had one made of wire wool when we took on the Saxon hoard, it rusted and we lost (sad face).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew Height
    Ouch, scratchy Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine were half faces knitted by Grandma. I remember a 'beard' of frost forming and thus enhancing the polar explorer look. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tim Preston on FB
    the balaclava - a thing of beauty is a joy for ever

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neil Barrett on FB
    Neil Barrett shared your photo.: "Bad Memories of my childhood."

    ReplyDelete
  14. David Bell commented on FB
    David wrote: "For maximum warmth wear it back to front"

    ReplyDelete