Thursday 24 October 2013

Kevin in the middle...

My middle name is Kevin. Please accept my apologies.

Was it some sort of cruel trick? Not content with getting an inscrutable Chinese midwife to name me 'Andrew' they then decided that my middle name should be Kevin! It gives me nightmares to this day. How they arrived at this choice I’ve no idea, there were no Kevin’s in the family. Maybe there was a Kevin passing the house just as my dad opened the bedroom window and shouted:

“Middle name anyone?”

‘Hoopla!’ The decision was made. Again I fear that they gave my middle name as much thought as my first - and subsequently anything else to do with me.

If only they had picked William.

William was a family name and was generally included somewhere in the male child naming process. My great-great-grandfather, great-grandfather, grandfather and father all had the William name; there had been Williams in our family for generations. Not me though. It seems I wasn’t family enough to bear the family name. A pity really as you can do a lot with William. With William I could have been Bill or Billy, Will or Willy, or even Wills if the mood had taken me. I doubt that I would have made myself known as Will.i.am. and i.didn’t.get.the.f’ing.chance.

And so I became Andrew Kevin instead.

I sometimes dream about how my parents came up with my middle name…

Mother: “How about William? There are lots of Williams in your family.”
Father: “Let’s name him after the milkman.”
Mother: “Kevin? Kevin’s a sheep’s name!”
Father: “Exactly!”

So I’m named after a sheep… baaaa!
Exactly!

For years I went by 'Andy' and then one day I dropped the ‘y’ and replaced it with an ‘i’. Unfortunately it stuck, and for many years that 'i' became my life’s bane. There was this assumption by many that I was a girl and I regularly received mail to Ms Andi Height. How stupid and poncey was I?

Well, at least I never became a Drew. Except for an interesting fortnight one summer (but that’s another story).

Most people trying to turn their backs on their first name would have turned to their middle name:
“Call me Bill.”
“My Name? It’s Willy. Like the Willy of trouser snake fame.”
Yes, I really am a dick charmer. But somehow the middle name thing didn’t work for me, “Call me Kev,” didn’t have quite the same ring.

Did I mention that I sometimes dream about how my parents came up with my middle name?...

Father: Is that boy normal?
Doctor: Your child is perfectly normal
Father: No abnormalities?
Doctor: None whatsoever.
Father: Not even ADHD?
Doctor: That hasn’t been invented yet.
Father: Then I guess we’re just going to have to name him Kevin and wait.

Maybe, I wasn’t perfect like my cousin. But I don’t think I deserved Kevin.

That’s it... of course there was always my surname to fall back on…

6 comments:

  1. Maggie Patzuk on FB
    I suppose I could call you "Anders" or AK - but that makes me think of AK47 (or Avtomat Kalashnikova as it is known in Russia). So you could call yourself AK and when people ask what that stands for say Avtomat Kalashnikova and see if they get it. And yes - I know more than I should about the AK 47 as my dad is a huge fan of the Military Channel).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I may change my name to Anders AK 47 I really like that. My heritage is Dutch, I think Anders suits me

      Delete
  2. Maggie Patzuk
    I like it! It suits you! Very mysterious and European! A man with a secret past!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Height
    Maybe a secret pasta, my past is even a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My middle name is Kevin. Please accept my apologies.

    Maxine Noble, Gaynor Berry and 2 others like this.

    Paul Eddison My 'Walter, Wilfred' trumps that!
    23 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

    Linda Kemp you can always pick a new name - why not change the lot? Sinbad Mephistopheles Rainbow - ?
    23 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height I quite like Wilf.
    23 hours ago · Unlike · 2

    Andrew Height You know Linda, I've always thought of myself as a bit of a Sinbad.
    22 hours ago · Unlike · 2

    Ian Maclachlan I have a cousin called Kevin,
    22 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Ian Maclachlan He's sure to go to Heavin,
    22 hours ago · Unlike · 2

    Ian Maclachlan Don't really. Mine's Donald
    22 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Kevin Parrott My middle name is Kevin.
    22 hours ago · Like · 1

    Laura Keegan No not Wilf! sorry its got terrible connections for me! Haha. What about Cornelius?
    21 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

    Sandra Bouguerch oh dear..lol x
    21 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Andy Brewer My middle names Jeremy (except at weekends when it's Keith)
    20 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Cloe Fyne Lol x
    18 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

    Simon Parker Is it, like... "Kevyn"?
    14 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height My middle name is Kevin. Well, nobody's perfect.

    http://akh-wonderfullife.blogspot.co.uk/...

    what a wonderful life...: Kevin in the middle...
    akh-wonderfullife.blogspot.com
    12 hours ago · Like · Remove Preview

    Paul Whitehouse Ave got a cossan called Koven, always beats me at Sewerbootaayho!
    12 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

    Mike King Wasn't my perfect cousin called Kevin? Not a bad endorsement for Kevins really
    10 hours ago · Like

    Andrew Height Yeah, he flicked the kick and I didn't know
    9 hours ago · Like

    Mike King My middle name is Andrew. I was very nearly Andrew till the Nurse pointed out to my Mum that she would have twins with the same initials so I became Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martin:
    I found out this week that I was very nearly an Andrew too, although it was relegated to being a middle name thanks to my sister's genius when she was nine. I wonder whether I'd've been happier (or more successful) as an Andy...? After all, I seem to have worked for a lot of them over the years.

    ReplyDelete