Tuesday 8 October 2013

A touch of the Van Gough's...

Today I offer you a picture of a sunflower. The one and only sunflower that came to fruition in my garden this year despite me planting a packet of seeds which, I am reliably informed, contained 25 seeds on average.

I sometimes wonder what it is that makes the difference between a strong plant and a weaker one, particularly when both have been grown in much the same conditions. Could it be that one plant was positioned within range of just a fraction more sunshine, or grew in that inch or two of soil made fertile by a rich vein of something or other? Might it be that one of the plants was attractive to slugs whilst, for some reason best known to the slugs, they abhorred the other? Was one seed bursting with life and ambition whilst the other was too fainthearted and awkward to push it’s way towards the sun?

It seems to me that flowers are like people. Some thrive and get on, become famous, rich, happy and successful as they push their way towards the sun. Others, sometimes from the same family, wilt and fade without really blooming.

It’s hard to know what makes the difference, it’s just another of life’s mysteries I guess.

Anyway, I’m glad this one made it. It’s beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment