Saturday 19 October 2013

Peanut butter in the high street...

For one reason and another, today my mind kept returning to the town I was born and, as I made myself a peanut butter sandwich this morning, my old friend Peter Wright.

Peter's dad was the local sign-writer and I daresay he painted most, if not all, of the shop signs in this picture. Peter's mum kept a couple of demijohn's bubbling away on top her fridge - elderflower or parsnip, I don't know which - and Peter was the first boy I knew to eat peanut butter.

Peanuts and butter? Urgh! That didn't sound right.

For years I avoided eating peanut butter. As a child, growing up in a world of corner shops and grocers, peanut butter seemed very exotic, something that Americans ate on TV shows like My Three Sons, and 77 Sunset Strip. Of course there weren’t any supermarkets in our town, they were years away, and we bought our bread from the bakers, meat from the butchers, beer from the off-license, vegetables from the greengrocers, clothes from the haberdashers and you couldn’t buy peanut butter anywhere. How different things were back then, specific shops selling specific goods, when going shopping meant walking along the high street and entering half a dozen buildings simply to get the ingredients for the Sunday roast.

Food Town the grocers, Newitts the butchers, I can't remember the bakers name or that of the greengrocer who displayed his cabbages on North Street. Back then vegetables and fruit were seasonal, spaghetti came in tins, and bean sprouts were… well, just what were bean sprouts? Supermarkets changed all that.

With supermarkets came the one stop shop, a huge variety of food from all over the world, seasonality became a thing of the past and of course they were cheaper because of their buying power. Suddenly the wine merchants in Butter Market were struggling, the greengrocer and the haberdasher too. One by one the bakers, boutiques and butchers closed their doors, locked up shop and left along with a way of life that had existed for hundreds of years.

I guess Peter's dad was put out of business too, but I did get my peanut butter and, despite what I'd imagined as a boy, it wasn't made out of milk after all.

16 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfKKBDFCiIA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon Hutt on FB
    Have you ever been back for a visit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    Aaah....The Austin 1100 without doubt the most shit looking and performing mass-produced car ever ! Back in the day I hated it along with the Allegro, nearly as much as I do today the Nissan Micra and all of those joke cars known as 'super minis' .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      A couple of times Sharon. sometimes when i was in Reading, but Thame holds more bad memories than good for me.

      Delete
    2. Andrew Height
      Yes Paul, not great cars - but there are some beauties there as well.

      Delete
  4. Kevin Parrott on FB
    858 EPP, & WMC 373, great. The Land rover is E regd. so the photo is post 1966.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height If it was 66 I would be nine. Probably about right. By the time I was in my teens we had a supermarket other than the co-op - Tesco I think.

      Delete
  5. Andrew Height
    Anyone know what the car is next to the Morris Minor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin Parrott
      I'm thinking VW.. possibly.....?

      Andrew Height
      Volkswagen Karmann Ghia?

      Delete
    2. Kevin Parrott Could be........ wondering if the back is a bit 'chopped off' though?

      Delete
  6. Andrew Height
    It haunts me and I haunt it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    Great photo....apart from the cars it hasn't changed that much.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew Height Triumph
    TR4-A Roadster Kevin Parrott?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin Parrott
      I don't think so Andy, to 'saloony'.

      Kevin Parrott
      Which car are we talking about? The one on right of the MM or the partly concealed car on the left, the other side of the 1100?
      17 hours ago · Like

      Delete
    2. Andrew Height
      The one on the right of the MM

      Delete
  9. Simon Parker on FB
    Dunno, but the one next to the mystery car on the other side is a Vauxhall Viva HA Deluxe. I know it's a Deluxe because it has a stripe down the side (and two-tone door trim inside!)

    ReplyDelete