Friday 18 October 2013

Off at a tangent…

It’s no good crying over spilt milk, that’s what they say isn’t it? Not that I would know, I’ve rarely spilt milk as I don’t drink it and if I did I doubt that it would make me cry anyway. There’s something about milk that I don’t really like. It’s partly the taste, but more importantly I think it’s the texture. It’s too smooth, like drinking beige liquid velvet - and then there’s that warm, cloying, ‘I will turn soon’ smell.

No, I don’t cry over spilt milk, but I did find myself almost crying at Coronation Street the other evening and a few nights earlier at the Pride of Britain Awards. I know, I’m a sentimental fool and I shouldn’t really be watching such rubbish. But life can’t be all highbrow intellectual twaddle can it? Besides, I could put a pretty good argument together that Coronation Street is as relevant as Shakespeare was in its day. After all, it portrays life at its most intense with everything happening all of the time and at the same time, comedy and tragedy intertwined and overlaid and let’s not forget the three witches – Gayle, Rita and Audrey.

There I go, off at one tangent and headlong into another again. I hated maths at school. In infant’s school we were forced to learn our tables by rote and, try as I might, I could never remember them – eight times eight is…blank. And it wasn’t just my eight times, other than the twos, fives, tens and possibly the elevens they were all pretty much a blank in my mind. Later trigonometry, with its sines, cosines and tangents, left me drowning in a sea of numbers which I never did learn to properly swim in.

Funny, I’m not sure what tangents are even to this day; although I’m constantly off on them. Which brings me back to the spilt milk; because my maths was so poor I focussed totally on the more arty subjects - writing, drawing and painting my way through school and dreading maths lessons with a black gloom that hung over my head like black clouds of a very wet day.

It’s an approach that I’ve learnt to live with and I’ve prospered; making my way in life without milk or times tables and seeing pictures and hearing Shakespeare at every turn of my road. As a consequence I found myself this morning taking a hand-painted vase covered in tiny butterflies out of my kiln only to find that it had cracked - and when I picked it up it shattered into pieces.

Damn and bugger!

Well, it’s no use crying over spilt milk… or broken glass. I could have this morning though.

14 comments:

  1. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    ......think I would have cried.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height
    I'm still looking for the silver lining on this one Lin. I painted a replacement today. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    Good Luck.....sure it will be fine....fingers crossed xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fraser Stewart on FB
    No point crying over broken glass. Unless you stand on the broken pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah Farmer on FB
    Juggling again Andrew with a glass of red too... its impossible! Just drink the red wine xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn Marshall on FB
    Oh no!!!! I bet the next one turns out better 🌞

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandra Bouguerch on FB
    Thats the process of creativity for ya! xx constant challenge and forever progressing x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Samantha MacAree on FB
    I have just put a vase in the oven, I hope it doesn't happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    Hopefully things are improving for you. I'm on my second bad day out of two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew Height on FB
    Sam - do you paint glass then?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephen Entwistle on FB
    Oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't have 13. Right Sparkle?

    ReplyDelete