Tuesday 22 October 2013

Parachutes, pumpkins, Leonardo…

I was going to write about parachutes today. Did you know that it’s the 216th anniversary of the first recorded parachute jump? I’m sure that there will have been jumps prior to this, but these others go unrecorded; perhaps the jumpers didn’t live to record them. Damn Leonardo da Vinci with his parachute designs. It’s thanks to him that I’ve always regretted not signing up for that charity jump when I had the chance. Yes, his fault, not mine. Sometimes I wish he had just stuck to painting plain, sallow, enigmatic ladies who seem to be sitting on a feather.

I also considered posting on pumpkins. Well, I bought my Halloween pumpkin at the weekend. Yes, just the one, anything more would be too showy. I didn’t carve one last year and received a complaint from one trick-or-treater who said that she’d been looking forward to seeing my pumpkin in the porch and felt cheated. The last one I made was a Dali cat, the year previous the Ju-Ju Jesus Peanut (all hail the Holy Peanut). God knows what I’m going to carve this year, but it better be good. I don’t want any more complaints from eight year old pumpkin art critics.

Anyway between parachutes, pumpkins and a glass or two of red wine, I Googled ‘Leonardo da Vinci pumpkin’ and to my surprise up came ‘DaVinci Pumpkin Pie Sauce – Gourmet’. So not just any old pumpkin pie sauce; Da Vinci and gourmet no less! I’d never heard of it, but apparently it’s a blend of pumpkin, cinnamon, allspice and ginger and tastes just like pumpkin pie which, like my parachuting non-opportunity, I’ve never experienced.

Bloody Leonardo da Vinci. As if anatomy, painting, philosophy, arms design and engineering weren’t enough.

He really was into everything wasn’t he? Parachute pie anyone?

6 comments:

  1. Maggie Patzuk on FB
    Do you not have pumpkin pie in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height In all honesty Maggie I have never seen it in supermarkets or on the menus in restaurants. Our UK cookery bibles don't include a recipe and I've never seen any pumpkin related food advertised on TV. Very few people grow or eat them and even pumpkin carving is a newish UK pastime. We are way behind the US in Halloween celebration terms, even trick or treating is only a couple of decades old... but then we have Guy Fawkes Night just a few days later where we burn effigies of a Catholic terrorist.

      Delete
  2. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    How about a parachute pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Now there's a thought Vicky Sutcliffe

      Delete
  3. Fraser Stewart on FB
    Actually there's an article in the paper today about a chap sailing in a pumpkin. Amazing story….zzzzzzzzz.

    ReplyDelete