Tuesday 15 October 2013

Soup…

Sometimes it’s a rant, other times a bit of my life, good and bad, past or present. Often it’s the weather or some meaningless something I’ve seen or heard. But today it is soup.

I suppose you could call me a bit of a soup dragon. I’m a big fan of soup, it’s great. Maybe that’s why I can’t quite understand why it seems to have dropped off people’s culinary radar, particularly in these austere times, particularly as soup is healthy, filling, comforting, warming, easy to make, and cheap.

You can make soup out of almost nothing and very nearly everything, and there are lots of different soups to make – traditional soups, exotic soups, posh soups, single or multi-flavour soups. I love minestrone, spring vegetable, carrot and coriander, chicken and sweetcorn and my all time favourite… paprika spiced goulash soup.

Here’s yesterday’s Chunky Farmhouse Chicken and Vegetable – carrot, swede, parsnip, peas, onion, leeks, sweetcorn, home-made stock and chicken - which I served with hot crusty French bread.

Mmmm... soup.

I think I might start doing a soup of the week spot. Anyone interested?


19 comments:

  1. Lynda Henderson on FB
    Yes. What is swede Andrew? Celery perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I think that you call it Rutabaga Lynda. We call celery... celery
      .

      Delete
  2. Nicola Menzies on FB
    Tattie or butternut squash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Height
    I love butternut squash soup, and pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    My wife has a liking for man-soup !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      No soup for you then Paul.

      Delete
  5. Liz Shore
    I did a pan of curried butternut squash soup and a pan of leek potato and pea soup on Sunday. There isn't much left now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon Hutt
    Pumpkin with soy sauce. Something I found on my travels and sadly limited to making only around Halloween here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul Whitehouse
    NB cilantro is coriander too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 10 hours ago via mobile · Like

    Lynda Henderson on FB
    Tom kha gai or any spicy soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew Height
    Gonna try that one Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda Henderson on FB
      Tom Kha Gai is delicious with coconut milk and a chili thrown in. YUM!!! Secret is galanga, it is a thai (or asian) type of ginger.

      Delete
  10. Andrew Height
    Welcome to the soup club all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon Hutt on FB
    I do but have a very small freezer conoartment so my supply doesnt last long

    ReplyDelete
  12. We always have home made soup for lunch during the winter. A big batch lasts two or three days depending on who is around. Finished the leek and potato yesterday. I'm just about to boil a chicken carcass for chicken and something soup- probably use the last of the beans from the garden. A regular soup article would be great.

    ReplyDelete