Thursday 22 May 2014

Destinations and expenses…

It’s funny how my mind trips along, one thought leading to another until I arrive at some destination I didn’t even know I was travelling to. Yesterday was all about tomatoes and, through one comment or another, it got me thinking about my years in the corporate world and the freedom that an expense based lifestyle gave me at the time.

Oh, it wasn’t just the car and the free petrol, driving to Scotland or Wales for the weekend cost nothing, or the booze and the meals in Michelin star restaurants, not even the motorway services breakfasts. It was the experiences that my job and my expense account afforded me. How I wish I’d appreciated the things that 'just happened' to me more at the time. I took so much for granted, experiences that today I would view as adventures and treats.

Of course I was in the business for a long time, but these days I no longer travel to Paris for the day, take a road trip to the Mysore Palace in India, visit umpteen temples in Bangalore, spend a day on a canal barge drinking champagne in Bristol, go to the races at York, open a mission kitchen in Hyderabad, pop up to the Edinburgh Fringe, watch the Cirque du Soleil in Florida, take the lift to the top of the Empire State, Lunch in Honfleur's best fish restaurant, drink Guinness in Dublin, wander the Kennedy Space Centre, spend three cold dark nights on a small yacht in a stormy North Sea. What great times I had and all at no cost to myself. And Elvis? Well, I even managed a trip to Graceland, Memphis, all paid for on expenses.

I could go on, there was something different all the time, but I won’t.

What a life I used to lead, although - when living it - it felt like it was just all meetings, planes, and cars. Yes, what a life. I used to get paid for eating, drinking, and talking, with (working) holidays thrown in for good measure. Perhaps that was one of the reasons the company fell over, although I doubt it.

I’m not complaining about my life today, the destination I’ve arrived at isn’t too bad at all, but sometimes it can be a little samey and it leaves me wishing that I’d made more effort to savor my experiences more at the time.

Of well, at least I had the opportunity. As Elvis would have said: “Thank you very much M’am.”

23 comments:

  1. Cloe Fyne commented Facebook:
    Cloe wrote: "Like this one :-)"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie Patzuk on FB
    Oh Anders – how well I recall the fun of Cirque du Soleil and the Kennedy Space Center. Those were the days! Travel not only provided a better understanding of how the business operated in different locations and cultures, but linked offices together...See More

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia Kitt on FB
    oh, yes!! (was that pre- Sale?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert Mills on FB
    Cracking Blog! My favourite to date

    ReplyDelete
  5. David Searle on FB
    Great! Am sure it wasn't the expense accounts that caused the company to fall over either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    Amazing parallel lives here Andrew I echo almost every word you say here based on my time with the Forensic Science Service, only some of the places and experiences are different....Hong Kong, Beijing, Singapore, Perth (Aus) and twenty five states in the USA being some of them. FREQUENT upgrades to business class, Ambassadorial receptions, meetings with the FBI at Quantico VA, meeting Sir Alec Jeffreys and discussing DNA technology with him for almost an hour. Now like you the travelling is infrequent and mostly short-haul and the upgrades non-existent. Dammit I miss the calm and sanctuary of the BA lounges ...far from the madding crowds. Where did it all go and why did it slip away almost without me realising? I even miss the hour and a half it takes to clear immigration in the US and the lovely I-94W green card which I always managed to fuck up and have to re- write putting my DOB in the CORRECT box !!!! Oh yes and I too did Graceland but on the occasion of the anniversary of his death ...candlelight vigil and all. One word ....AWESOME.
    y'all have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve Bishop on FB
    T'was good times, and as has been said... conductive to better production. I miss them - and the people too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    I wish I'd stuck around at Dale now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew Height on FB
    I got very lucky Paul Whitehouse. I don't think I did a day's toil in my life. It really was one big holiday, except without the Germans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew Height
    Pindar Tricia Kitt. You were in France for the yachting remember?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    Quite a significant jump up the corporate ladder from sitting there doing 6 Quarter-Column ads per day....you did we'll my san!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vicky Brickhill on FB
    Blinkin' eck. I thought I did well with a day on a round the world racing yacht and a party on the Pindar boat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrew Height
    They were great times Maggie Patzuk, and we were a great company.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maggie's full comment:

    Maggie Patzuk Oh Anders – how well I recall the fun of Cirque du Soleil and the Kennedy Space Center. Those were the days! Travel not only provided a better understanding of how the business operated in different locations and cultures, but linked offices together. Off-sites allowed companies to combine work with reward at an exciting locale. Those trips provided an opportunity for co-workers to bond and see each other as individuals. Once back at the office, there were often new connections that led to better interaction and productivity. Travel, retreats, holiday parties and summer picnics are now seen as frivolous and not cost effective. With the new trend of remote offices, working from home, and on-line meetings, the corporate world has become a very cold and lonely place with no loyalties to either the organization or its employees. You are fortunate you are no longer a part of it and I am seriously contemplating if I want to remain a part of it. But at least we were a part the glory days and I’m very glad we’re still connected!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    It was a joy to experience some of those things with you xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy days. Nice piece Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. David Bell on FB
    Blimey, I was working for the wrong Company

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Pindar were really good at entertaining, both customers and their own people. Of course a lot of money got wasted on yachts, but the champagne really did flow. The only time I flew in a privately chartered plane was with Pindar. It was a six seater and there were six bottles of champagne and beer in the fridge.

      Delete
  18. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    David Bell you thought it was all work work work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Bell on FB
      Only when I had to Vicky Sutcliffe

      Delete
  19. Lissa Tam on FB
    Imagine a life without these memories...defo had a blast with Pindar peeps. Maggie, you are so right. Andi, will send you a pic next week to quench your thirst! X

    ReplyDelete