Thursday 8 May 2014

Beer and burgers...

It's all a bit too green for my liking.

Well, it is May, it is a work progress, and it is still pretty early in the season I guess. Even so, I begin to wonder if my little yard will ever begin to take off properly. There’s an awful lot of green this year and I’m trying not to grow nasturtiums, although I’m sure that a few will appear, so I’m already wondering where the colour will come from. Maybe the pink marguerites that I’ve grown will add some subtlety, and the sweet pea seedlings that I planted in position this week – mauves, pinks, and white – will add some frills and fragrance. But what will give my back yard the colour that it really needs?

Perhaps the mimulus monkey flower plants will help in the shady areas and a sunflower or two could provide some height and drama, but at the minute the only real colour is the yellow poppies that grow wild each year and I leave until I can’t stand them any longer.

My intention for my little haven this summer is to not overcrowd it too much in order to try to avoid the bloated chaos that always seems to arrive in September. To be honest though chaos is my nature, so it’ll be interesting to see if I can keep the lid on my instinct to plant and plant, squeezing in as many plants as I can into the tiniest of borders.

This year I want my back yard to breathe and I want to breathe along with it. I’m looking forward to the smell of the sweet peas and the buzz of the bees on a warm summer evening. I can almost taste the beer and burgers.

6 comments:

  1. Sharon Taylor on FB
    how funny us gardeners are, when I moved to my new house a couple of years ago with its 140 foot garden I thought oh good I won't need to garden in pots any more. The reality is that I seem to have more pots than ever because they create more space for plants! My name is Sharon Taylor and I am a plantaholic................... and do you know what you may be one to!! WTF . There are worse things in life x


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      This year I have taken over my mum in laws garden too Sharon Taylor. What with my yard, Wales and that I seem to be increasingly plantaholic. Next step in my master plan is to move to Wales and buy a house with a big(gish) garden and spend all my time in it. There are indeed worse things in life and I can write a list of them if called upon to do so.

      Delete
  2. Catherine Halls-Jukes on FB
    My sweet peas are in the pots ready to be planted out at the weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    got my sweetpeas in now...also planted some gladiolas which are looking good

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Bell on FB
    Looks like a fine place to eat burgers and drink beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      It is David. I often barbecue my breakfast.

      Delete