Friday 30 May 2014

Thought for the day...

So, two posts in a row without a single comment, maybe I’m losing my touch. I do know that the more I write the less sure I am that I’m writing anything of value or even if what I’m writing makes any sense or even scans. Ah, the dilemma of being creative.

I often wonder about those cavemen paintings. Just why did they do it? Was it to amuse themselves or did they charge admission to come and look at the pretty pictures? Two flints for adults, children go free. Just why did they pick up a stick, sharpen it, and begin to draw on the walls of their caves?

Of course we all start out drawing and making up stories for our own amusement, young children don’t need the opinions of others, but once you get to school and the marking begins you start to need to be told that you have done well to give what you have done value. Soon the opinions and praise of others begin to count, then the self-consciousness starts, and eventually most people give up drawing and making up stories for themselves because they ‘can’t’ when of course they can.

It’s so easy to forget how to use your imagination, far too easy to agree that you can’t draw, write, sing, make music, see the pictures in the clouds. Far too easy to replace all that instinctive creativity with education and grades and ‘can’t’.

Oh well, that’s that, my thought for today. I hope that you liked my little drawing.

15 comments:

  1. Tim Preston on FB
    Yeah - you don't NEED that adulation. It's an illusion - all bollocks. Just follow your bliss. I like your picture by the way. There's something very primal about it and yet the warm comforting colours suggest something very Disneyesque and comfortable. My first reaction was "Oh. a fusing of the Gingerbread Man and The Three Bears". It's obviously a cry for help in a mechanised ethos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height
    Need, no. Like, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kieran Goodwin on FB
    Agreed, I am the master of doubting more or less everything I do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Doubt is fine. Not doing it isn't. Keep on doing it.

      Delete
    2. Kieran Goodwin on FB
      I do have to kick myself up the arse quite often

      Delete
  4. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    How much has been lost to nurturing negativity in people? A very sad state of affairs. It's all about control. We mustn't give in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma Cholmondeley on FB
    Agreed from a passionate primary school teacher!! Too much pressure to be "academic" too young and not enough support to be creative and enjoy childhood! I blame Gove all the way to his pompous, private school education!!! Boo to Gove, hip, hip hooray to the rebirth of childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma Cholmondeley on FB
    Love the pic btw Reminds me of an art lesson with my 28, 6 year olds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peter Burns on FB
    Totally agree lets get back to allowing kids to develop naturally and follow their instincts with no pressure to make the grade.Not everyone has talent but we all have a creative imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    Have you thought about cutting out pieces of coloured paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I'm not allowed scissors in here Paul Whitehouse.

      Delete
  9. David Bell on FB
    Kids have their creativity stifled by the perceptions of their teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I completely agree David Bell. My maths teacher once told me to forget any sort of art career as it was a bit hard to get into and you needed to be a genius with rich parents. He was also the carreers master and a captain in the ACF and suggested that I join the army instead. Mind you, it made me even more determined to prove him wrong.

      Delete
  10. John Hatton on FB
    Imagine if you'd joined the army?...would we have won the war?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      It might have been a nicer colour John Hatton

      Delete