Thursday 1 May 2014

Wiped out...

I tried ignoring the flapping rubber for a while, but you can only rely on it not raining for so long and, as I was passing a wiper blade shop, I went in and purchased two for a pound.

It wasn’t my first purchase to try to solve the flapping problem. Earlier in the week I’d purchased the wrong size, believing that this time the twenty inch would work despite knowing that I really needed an Eighteen. My second pound shop purchase was the right size though.

Now all I had to do was fit it.

I don’t know why I do it, but each time I need a new wiper blade I make the same mistake and try to fit it myself. It looks so easy. They simply clip in don’t they? Well, not quite. There are those fiddly plastic bits that need to be fitted and there seems to be dozens of alternative fiddly bits to deal with. Those fiddly bits seem to break easily too, especially when you try to use force to make the bloody thing fit.

After ten minutes of struggling, two broken fiddly bits, and a lot of F@*+ing swearing I gave up and stormed back inside the house. Of course my wife asked if I’d ‘managed it’ to which I responded ‘no I hadn’t’ and that the bloody fiddly bits had self-destructed in my hands like the tape recorder from Mission Impossible.

“I’ll have a go,” she said.

Smiling wryly I watched her leave the house in the knowledge that she’d soon be back clutching a couple of broken fiddly bits with a big imaginary ‘F’ on her forehead. There was no way that she’d be able to do it if I couldn’t and sure enough five minutes later she was back.

“There, that’s done,” she said rubbing imaginary dust from her hands in an exaggerated and altogether unnecessary manner.

I don’t know what she did or how she did it, but she had fitted my windscreen wiper without any difficulty at all. I know because I checked by flicking the stick thing in the car that makes them go back and forth. I tried it at every speed, almost draining the washer bottle to make the bloody thing break and fly off… but it didn’t.

Maybe I’ll stick to flower arranging in future and leave the heavy engineering to her.

17 comments:

  1. "What A Wonderful Wife"...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy B D Bickerdike on FB
    So you're one of these people halfords charge for the privilege?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      And I can't use the washing machine. Too many dials....

      Delete
  4. Phil Ogden on FB
    You have to have had a Meccano set when you were little...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I did Phil, I made very nice Meccano flowers and abstract shapes.

      Delete
  5. Clare Pritchard on FB
    Well done Mrs H!!!! That's two of us that can fit em

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicky Brickhill on FB
    Go Gaynor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike King on FB
    I paid Halfords 2 quid and they did mine in 5 mins

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew Height My wife did it for free Mike. Total cost for the wiper blade (x2) 50p + the beer I drank whilst she was doing it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cloe Fyne on FB
    Because women can do anything, that's why!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clare Pritchard on FB
    I must admit Halfords did show me how to do it in the first place...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jayne Butterworth Women can multi task andrew bet gaynor cud hav changed a tyre while she was at it no probs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Actually Jayne Butterworth she always changes the tyres while I multitask watching and breathing.

      Delete
  12. Nick Jennings on FB
    dastardly plan that got you out of doing the job AND gave you time to have a quiet pint, Mr H you still have the genius

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      You know me too well Nick Jennings

      Delete