Monday 19 May 2014

Rubik's what?...

Didn't you just love the seventies with its browns and creams and baggy high-waisted trousers. Yes, the seventies was quite a monochromatic time and the brightest kid on the block, in more ways than one, was the Rubik Cube.

I had to have one and bloody expensive it was too. If I’d have waited a couple of months I could have bought one of the copies that suddenly appeared on every market stall and every discount shop for a couple of quid, but that was me - far too impatient.

Patience with puzzles was never one of my virtues, still isn’t really. I can’t ever finish a crossword without losing interest the minute I can’t work out one of the clues. Bits of bent metal become even more bent when I try to disentangle one ring from another and round plastic ball mazes have been known to resemble flying saucers when, in a fit of frustrated pique, I’ve flung them across the room.

Anyway, Erno Rubik’s Magic Cube as it was called back then. Try as I might with my cube somehow I never mastered it. In the end I did manage to beat it after a fashion though, but only by taking the bloody thing apart and rebuilding it so that it looked liked I’d solved Rubik’s cube. It had a very interesting mechanism inside, but it was never quite the same after that. It went all loose.

As did I.

9 comments:

  1. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    I bought a book with instructions on how to complete it. Dead easy after that. I've always been a by that book kind of guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian Maclachlan
    'the book...' Damn that predictive text.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine Halls-Jukes on FB
    I sussed it out quite quickly and shame is can still do it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter Burns on FB
    Totally loved the 70s but never mastered the rubik cube

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda Henderson on FB
    I do have one and as a kid I spent hours figuring it out, and I did it! Now, I just get frustrated and throw it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Height
    So it's easy then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tim Preston on FB
    That was for "maths" people and I was an "arty" person which meant I wouldn't be able to do it. The two didn't mix according to my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    JS Bach's music is very mathematical and the pinnacle of artistic endeavour. Maybe your mother was just being nice to you Tim. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tim Preston on FB
    Sorry but that's just weird Ian. I wish people would just stay with what their supposed to be then we would all get along much better

    ReplyDelete