Wednesday 25 July 2012

The lad himself…

There he is the lad himself; twenty-something not yet twenty-five, Ibiza, Tenerife or some such place, too much hair, a pack of Benson and Hedges, and a swift pint for breakfast – oh yes, the lad himself on holiday abroad in his favourite shirt and wishing he was somewhere else.

I’ve never been one for having my photograph taken and photos of me from teens to thirties are rarer than hen’s teeth, so when this turned up recently – well, I was more than a little surprised at what I had once been.

I’ve never been much of a smiler:
“Say cheese.”
“Go screw yourself.”

See that look? I recognise the look far easier than I recognise the face that’s looking it. That’s a look I’ve made all of my life, the look of how I feel inside. If you look closely you’ll see the question in it, the doubt and uncertainty, the scorn, the boredom, the wanting the next thing. Don’t worry it’s only there to mask what I’m really feeling and it’s mainly (mainly mind) aimed at myself not anyone around me – although they sometimes got caught in the ripple… and still do come to think of it. The look’s mainly dissatisfaction, but there’s a touch of disappointment, a smidgeon of disbelief because always somewhere in my mind has been: “What am I doing here, and why am I doing it, and why am I doing it with you?”

My head back then was a mess of worries. I’d taken on far too much before I’d really done anything you see, never tried for the things I knew that I wanted; instead settling for what was there simply because it was there and my misplaced sense of duty tied me to it. Not that I didn’t care, I cared plenty, but I knew even then what it was costing me, even though I pretended all was fine and just got on with things, sometimes I even had fun, sometimes I almost believed, but always that look to remind me.

You should have cut and run you stupid boy. What had you to lose? Just look where it ended up; you let me down you know and I hate you for it.

Oh, well, too late to change things now, it’s all so long ago. There he goes the lad himself and it was almost nice knowing him.

35 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only wish I was Jack Dawson. Seems like sometimes I get the right cards but then, whilst I'm away from the table, they get switched. I hadn't seen that me for such a long time and then someone from my past sent me to me. I'm not sure it was a good thing reminding me, it seems to have underlined the fact that all I set out to be I'm not. I know that I'm wallowing in self pity but I think that you'll understand this Sparks - sometimes it's better than the alternative.

    Yeah, stripy blonde hair; and I had one of those cars that was in the video - hardtop though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A secret me that I didn't even know existed until our paths crossed, has been secretly attempting to rightside up your jumbled cards for years, I do believe. Why else (besides Holly, because, heck, you never mention your Gaynor anymore) have you chosen to shelf The Alternative? I only know the YOU "you" and I like him and, no, I'm not settling at all. Because, luckily for us, we (Open your eyes again, Mr. Goofball!) discovered that we were equally eccentric and shared warped views on everything you can possibly imagine. *sets alarm* I'll give you five more minutes to wallow, and then it's "Let's get this show on the road!"

      Delete
  3. Tony Payne FB
    OMG its George Micheal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill Nelmes FB
    you havent changed a bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick Jones FB
    I always meant to tell you that you remind me a bit of Jack Black. This totally confirms it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samantha MacAree FB
    I love this photo, you haven't changed one bit, well apart from the mullet, lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mick Norman FB
    Err, is that a mullet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Samantha MacAree FB
    A short version, lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nick Jones FB
    Does no one else see Jack Black?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mulletish and yes I've had that before Nick along with a few others like Simon and George and (when I had a tight Perm) Doyle. To my mind though I'm just a bit of a twat.

      Delete
    2. Nick Jones No, no, never a twat. As George himself would

      Delete
  10. Kevin Parrott It's a pollock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phillip Yeadon ‎'lookin good dude.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nick Jennings FB
    and no-one's pointed out they only had black and white film then! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandra Bouguerch FB
    wam bam i am a man! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mike Octigan FB
    Love that post, Mr H. (Been there and probably still doing that)You just need to think about what andy in his seventies would post while staring at his profile picture way back in

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nick Jennings FB
    ‎...to know then what we know now, eh? love the blog, but damn, dont we all feel we let ourselves down, it's life, never too late as

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vicky Sutcliffe FB The 70's .... God we are old!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alan Buckley FB
    You look like a younger me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Della Roberts shared:
    I can see Jed in my brother, Andrew's, face. x

    Sarah Rawden I can see Jed in your face as well Della! he is the spit of you :o) xXx

    Della Jayne Roberts He is, isn't he ... :O) xxx
    8 hours ago · Like
    Sarah Rawden There is def a certain "look" that they both share :o) xXx

    Della Jayne Roberts Have only just read the blog that goes with the photo ... that look.

    Andrew Height Can't see my face in my face any longer though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glyn Bailey on FB
    Patrick Swayze

    ReplyDelete
  20. Neil Cousins on FB: My old boss
    Superstar status LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Steve Bishop on FB.
    Those were the days. Remember them like they were yesterday Mr H. That's the Alzheimer's setting in though. Oh, and never a twat.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Phil Ogden on FB.
    Pretty much how I remember you at art college, Andy. Never could work out if that was a smile/smirk or piles...
    9 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can remember college Phil, you either weren't there or you weren't drinking enough.

      Delete
  23. Philip Heslehurst on FB
    Touch of glen hoddle thrown in there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a new one Phil - Thanks (not).

      Delete
    2. Philip Heslehurst:
      Good looking bloke that glen hoddle :)

      Delete
  24. Neville Mclachlan on FB:
    What the....... GET THE LIQUOR AWAY form this man!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Andrew Fisher on FB:
    definately George M. hanging about by the mens room with an empty cream jug.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, cream jug was emptied a long time ago
      A few seconds ago

      Delete