Saturday 5 October 2013

Frank's funeral...

Yesterday I went to Scarborough for the day, not for a donkey ride or fish and chips (although both make an appearance), instead I made the pilgrimage to attend an old friend’s funeral. My first time back in Scarborough since my final day in my old job; it all seems so long ago now. In many ways it was a trip back in time, a trip back to a different version of me; one that’s not around any more.

I don’t hate funerals like so many people seem to. They’re just a necessary part of having been alive, an inevitable end; maybe that’s why they call it a passing. I don’t like them though, and whenever I can I try hard to avoid them. I have a long list of excuses to get me out of attending – ‘I’m in an important meeting’, ‘I’m out of the country’, ‘I’m on a training course’. These days though, none of them really apply, and in Frank’s case I wouldn’t want them to anyway.

I shared a car with two old colleagues, both friends, and as we drove along the M60 I wondered who we were these days – were we Athos, Porthos, and Aramis… or Moe, Larry and Curly… how about Huey, Dewey and Louis? Maybe not; in our dark suits and ties were more like Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras. Well, I’m almost the size of Pavarotti although I guess I’m more stooge than musketeer these days. Anyway, with the weather and all, maybe we were better off being ducks than tenors.

Scarborough in the drizzle, and as we drove past the buildings where we used to work it wasn’t quite the same. One was empty; the other owned by strangers despite the logo. At a glance, and as we drove past, it seemed that nothing had changed - at a glance, and as we drove past, it seemed that everything had changed. I almost expected to park up, step out of the car, and walk into yet another meeting (three page presentation and all) - only there aren’t any meetings for me any more.

Short of time, we drove through the town and up the hill to Scarborough Crematorium and a thousand memories. So many faces that I’d spent half a life time getting to know; glimpsing them across a black suited room with sombre nods here, a hand gesture there. So much in common with these people, so much less in common these days. No projects, no pipeline, no pagination coats, no white knock out, no Eric, no Clipper, no Freehand 5.5… just a smiling Frank watching us all from his easel; Frank, the reason that we were all there together again.

Death’s a great leveller. All rank and position wiped away, just a group of people gathered on a wet Friday afternoon to say goodbye to a friend.

Back at the cricket club how easily I slipped into the old skin, and for a moment I was almost that other version of me for an hour or two. So this was where Frank came on a Sunday afternoon for a pint. My Sunday afternoon memories of Frank were of the Valley Forge Hilton bar, drinking beer and exchanging tall tales.

We exchanged Frank tales as we drank this beer, no tall ones, there wasn’t any need. Tales about Frank were tall enough without embellishment: “Frank broke the mould”, “Frank loved black shirts so much that he bought three”, “Frank loved to sing.”, “Frank liked a pint”, “Frank loved his family”, “Frank was always talking about ‘our lass”, “Frank loved his cricket”.

Tall tales in the truest  of ways... I didn’t know about the cricket. 

Frank, what a beautiful muddle you were.

16 comments:

  1. Denise Smart on FB
    Oh Andy how endearing xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola Menzies on FB
    I really really enjoyed reading this Andi...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carmel Payne on FB
    Lovely words Andy which I'm sure he'd have appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry Swift on FB
    This is why I read your blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette Jones
    That is Lovely Andrew Height, he is lucky to have friend like you! RIP Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Height
    On the contrary Annette, I was lucky to have met Frank and to have known him a little. He helped me a lot and we had quite a few laughs. He was one of so many people in Pindar that I loved being around - I won't name names as most of them are still around but there were far more good than bad ones. Frank and I went shopping in the US once, we had a great time and h even picked me out a tie. I wore it to his funeral yesterday. My years in Pindar were as good as it can get I think. Thanks to all those great people I live a life that is good and without much worry. I am a very lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David Bell
    Fine writing Mr H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Thanks for the compliment David. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. Mike King
    I think I met Frank a couple of times, I vaguely recall him being good mates with Andy Fisher(?). Sorry to hear the news though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil Fishwick
      Mike, Andy & Frank were good friends & were both out in Cedar Rapids to support the Pindar team out there in 2003/4. Good times for many. RIP Frank.

      Delete
    2. Mike King
      I think that's when I met them Neil about the same time I met you for the first time.

      Delete
  9. Andrew Height
    Fish was at Frank's funeral yesterday. It was good to see him again, just such a pity about the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keith Johnson on FB
    I didn't know about Frank until last night. It would have been my second funeral of the week, not something I want to get used to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Samantha Kidd on FB
    "RIP Frank will me sadly missed"

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Facebook

    Karl Gerrish
    Darren Mann
    05/10/2013 18:34
    Darren Mann
    Vicky Matson
    05/10/2013 18:41
    Vicky Matson
    Robert Mills
    05/10/2013 18:42
    Robert Mills
    Andrew Fisher
    05/10/2013 18:58
    Andrew Fisher
    Ian Maclachlan
    05/10/2013 19:02
    Ian Maclachlan
    Susie Freeman
    05/10/2013 21:20
    Susie Freeman

    22:11Steven Lee left the conversation.
    Gary Weston
    05/10/2013 22:52
    Gary Weston
    Linda Kemp
    00:49
    Linda Kemp
    Seen by Christy, Janet, 11 more

    ReplyDelete