Thursday 31 October 2013

Pumpkin soup...

 I opened the door and (hey presto!) there was he, large as life and twice as… well not exactly ugly, but if he’d been a picture I’m not sure he’d have been described as pretty. His orange pumpkin head was definitely vibrant though, and his white cotton shirt - all buttoned to the neck like some country boy parson - a fine contrast. I could see that his dust-me-down suit had seen better days (what sort of dust was that exactly?) and as for the holy-roller bible - well let’s just say it didn’t look very holy with all that char around the edges. Yes, he sure was a sight for eyes as sore as mine.

“Trick or treat!” I asked, holding out the dish of candy and taking in the crosses and hearts, the veil of tears that were etched across his purdy Pumpkin face.

“You decide.” He said as he fiddled with his shirt buttons and opened his shirt on emptiness. No heart, no lungs or ribs, no gizzards, just thin air inside his clothes. “Call me Jack,” he grinned, “It’s as good a name as any… can I come in?”

I nodded in dumb acquiescence. Well, he’d invited himself.

Stepping over the threshold he closed the door behind him and turned. His smile became impossibly wide as he stepped towards me. I smiled back as I picked up the cleaver, running over my recipe for spicy pumpkin soup. Garlic, coriander, cumin, chilli, a pumpkin head - it almost sounded like a spell. I loved soup.

I swung my cleaver. The treat was going to be mine. I guess he’d pulled the trick card after all.


12 comments:

  1. Karen Scrace on FB
    My daughter saw your pumpkin - shook her head and said 'too good'!! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob Poultney on FB
    fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Bell on FB
    How did you do the carving/shaping. It's amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height A keyhole saw, a Swann Morton scalpel and a spoon. Brain surgery school next week if you need a lobotomy David.

      Delete
  4. Nicola Menzies If i did one it wud say ' no callers' ba humbug me!
    30 October at 20:56 via mobile · Like

    Paul Whitehouse Humpin' yer pumpkin Andrew?
    30 October at 21:08 via mobile · Like

    Lorna Gleadell Gaynor was right
    30 October at 21:08 via mobile · Like

    Dawn Marshall Photo please :0)
    30 October at 21:18 via mobile · Like · 2

    Vicky Sutcliffe photo!
    30 October at 22:53 via mobile · Like

    Andrew Height Took a couple of sittings to get it right. Tomorrow is Halloween and I'll post it then with a bit of a spooky short tale.
    30 October at 23:07 · Like · 1

    Andrew Height 33 so far in 9 groups. Cool.
    12 hours ago · Like

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andy B D Bickerdike on FB
    That's a damn smart pumpkin..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    Wow. You have surpassed yourself and put my meagre effort to shame. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    What tools did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height A keyhole saw and a scalpel. Brain surgery later.

      Delete
  8. Paula Sandham on FB
    WoWzers! That's fab! Px

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant.... The pumpkin and the tale.

    ReplyDelete