Friday 25 October 2013

Call me Clogs…

Now, about my surname. For those of you that don’t already know, my surname is Height. Not the most common of names, but a lot more common than you might think. There are half-a-dozen Andrew Heights on Facebook alone, a black murderer Andrew Height in Alabama State prison, and of course yours truly – Andrew Kevin Height.

There are Heights scattered all over the country like bad pennies waiting to come up as change. Many years ago, when I had a Saturday job in the china department at Birmigham’s Lewis’s Department Store, it came to my attention that there was another Height working on the payroll. I always meant to pop up to see her in the underwear department she managed and have a ‘chat’, but you know how these things are and I never quite managed to get to her underwear.

‘Are you free?’ Well let’s put it like this, I don’t charge.

My ancestors originated in Holland and came over as émigrés in the mid-1700’s, setting up home in Lincolnshire. They were Blacksmiths and field engineers by trade, so probably came to the fens to drain the land, building the dykes and living in windmills surrounded by tulips and wearing wooden clogs. Cloggs are lucky I believe.

Did you zien a muis?
Waar?
Er on de stair.
Warr on de stair?
Just er.
Een little muis with klompen on?
Well I verklarr.

Lucky klompen. Now there’s a thought.

Back then we were the Van der Hoogtes (pronounced fon dare Hocht), a family of metaalwerkers and Smids (pronounced metaalwerkers and Smids).

I’ve Googled the name and my most famous Dutch relative seems to be Aleida van der Hoogte who was born in Amsterdam. Cousin Aleida’s an artist who paints flowers and fairground scenes in a fusion of bold composition, vibrant colour and detail. Her work displays the Dutch Floral Masters influences and she’s a big fan of Pieter Bruegel the Elder which comes across in her figurative work.

I love Bruegel and I can paint flowers a bit, although I don’t… and there the similarity between myself and Aleida probably ends.

Anyway, at some point, probably because Dutch immigrants weren’t exactly welcomed with open arms, an ancestor of mine dropped the ‘van de’ and changed the spelling of Hoogte to the English word of the same meaning – Height.

So that’s me; a badly named Dutchman - Andrew Kevin Height.

Perhaps, as a friend of mine suggested, I should change my first name to Anders, revert to my Dutch surname and chuck in the clogs for good luck.

Anders Klompen van der Hoogtes… I like that.

Just call me Clogs… Clogs van der Hoogtes. Maybe I should move to Amsterdam.

6 comments:

  1. Did you zien a muis?
    Waar?
    Er on de stair.
    Warr on de stair?
    Just er.
    Een little muis with klompen on?
    Well I verklarr.
    Like · · Unfollow Post · Share · Promote
    Simon Parker, Ian Maclachlan and Michelle Haendl like this.

    Linda Kemp we seem to have one in the cupboard.......
    11 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Kevin Parrott Ronnie von Hilton
    11 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Bernadette Doyle We've got them in the loft

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height
    Okay guys, help me out here please. I'm thinking of changing my name, what do you think of the name I've chosen?

    Cloe Fyne Errrrrr no! I don't fancy that!
    12 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

    Maggie Patzuk Love it!
    12 hours ago · Unlike · 2

    Sarah Farmer Unusual... Inspector ....Clogs uh no! You have too much time Andrew xxx
    12 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Sandra Bouguerch Sounds good x
    12 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height I make time Sarah. Every day I make time. That's why I'm up at six o'clock. I'm a blogger you see.
    12 hours ago · Edited · Like

    Andrew Height Just call me Clogs.
    12 hours ago · Like

    Lindsey Messenger Hi Clogs....am liking your new name!! x
    12 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height Me too Lindsey
    12 hours ago · Like

    Mel Mackuin Well, Clogs I agree with Maggie - I love it too - the full name works best so I wish you the best of Dutch!
    9 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height Dank Mel.
    9 hours ago · Like

    Maggie Patzuk Can I still call you Anders?
    9 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Liz Shore Fantastic . I'm not so happy to be going around signing 'A mouse Lived in a Windmill' for the rest of my evening though!
    8 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height Of course you can Maggie. that's what I call myself now. It's my cat name
    8 hours ago · Like

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm considering changing my name to Anders AK 47...
    Like · · Unfollow Post · Share · Promote
    Lissa Tam and Linda Kemp like this.

    Linda Kemp still Height?
    23 hours ago · Like

    Andrew Height More later Linda Kemp
    22 hours ago · Like · 1

    Linda Kemp oooh fun! x
    22 hours ago · Like

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon Taylor
    Hi Andrew,
    how are you tracing that back? My family history goes to Great Granddad Height who came from Norfolk where the name was spelled as Hite. This has also been confirmed by W P P Hite (Bill) who contacted our Granddad just before he died.
    Have you got a complete tree for me to look at as I am resurrecting my hobby now the nights are pulling in. It would be interesting to see what you have found out. The family tree that Bill Hite sent has just been found by Mum so I can send you a copy if you are interested. Let me know.
    Sharon
    Andrew Height
    25/10/2013 21:58
    Andrew Height
    I am interested to see that Sharon. Unlike you I'm not as focused on the process and have looked at the root of our name and things that I've heard from other family over the years - including Nelly. I have to admit to also 'feeling' much of this. For years I have had a knowledge about out past family which probably wouldn't meet the stringent genealogy test. Fine by me, but maybe not for you. To me this is fact though.
    Sharon Taylor
    25/10/2013 22:27
    Sharon Taylor
    Andrew, I work in finance with facts and figures, so I have to balance the books, I think I get that from my Dad. I love the detective work and as you say you like the feeling of the feeling, although my feeling is that your artistic side comes mainly from your Mum as she is very talented?
    Andrew Height
    25/10/2013 22:40
    Andrew Height
    Is she? I hadn't really noticed. No, not her. I love facts and have balanced multi-million pound budgets and controlled them. One thing I learnt is that you can't run the world on spreadsheets and, without taking a leap of faith, the figures will take you nowhere. I was there when our old family were alive, Lilly once told me that we were of Dutch descent and that our name was once spelled Hooght (even my dad knows that, he told me once). Great Grandad didn't talk much and neither did Grandad but history backs up that premise and we all have the look of the Dutch. Take a look in the mirror and check. Easiest way to be sure is to have DNA testing. We are all of Dutch descent is what it will tell us. Following lines step by step is about a tree that I'm not really interested in because at the end of the day it is really about where we came from not the process of how we got to where we are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lissa Tam commented on FB
    Lissa wrote: "Clip clippety clip! X"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda Kemp on FB
    Clogs the blogger - brilliant! Change it now on fb......

    ReplyDelete