Thursday 20 February 2014

Square one...

Anyone else wish that they could go back to square one and start again? Of course I’m not really sure quite where or what square one is. Is it birth or that twilight time before we are born, or is it something far older linked to creation? Maybe we are all playing a huge celestial game of Snakes and Ladders.

Cosmic. To infinity and beyond!

There are a few theories about the term ‘square one’ and how it came about. The first is linked to board games. The earliest use of the phrase in print is 1952, from the Economic Journal: “the reader is always being sent back to square one in a sort of intellectual game of snakes and ladders.” Of course on most snakes and ladders boards you don’t slide all the way back down to square one, it’s usually square four; but I guess it’s a contender.

Then there’s the hopscotch (the game that some of us played in the playground) theory. It’s played on a chalked grid of numbered squares. The rules of the game can vary, but it usually involves hopping from square to square whilst missing out the square with the thrown stone. Players usually hop from square one to eight or ten, dependent on the length of the scotch, and then back to square one.

My favourite’s the BBC football theory. Back in the twenties early BBC radio commentators helped listeners to follow the progress of football and rugby matches by dividing the pitch into eight notional rectangles. They described the play by saying which 'square' the ball was in. The term ‘back to square one’ was never used but despite this, the BBC claimed in January’s 2007 edition of The Radio Times (celebrating 80 years of BBC football commentary), that The Radio Times’ grids led to the phrase. The grid system was dropped in the 1930s, but not before ‘back to square one’ had entered the consciousness of the nation apparently.

Snakes and Ladders, Hopscotch, Football; whichever one of these it was it seems to have been a game - a bit like life really; a really big game with winners and losers, progression and set-backs, pinnacles and depressions. Corny I know, but true I think. Given the chance though, would I really press the cosmic reset button and start over? I don’t know, maybe I would, maybe I wouldn’t. Shall I roll the dice again?

To infinity and beyond! Or maybe just back to square one.

20 comments:

  1. There is a theory which stares that if you rolled back time to the beginnings of life on earth, you wouldn't get people at the end of whatever evolutionary path the world took...

    Still, as the man said, "God doesn't play dice" so I guess we're stuck with what we've got...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think God plays dice with us all Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kingsley Roberts on FB
    No - we close the door to the past - not worry about the future and just love in the now - just make the most of it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kingsley Roberts on FB
    Love should be live - but I guess if you feel like it you could love!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernadette Doyle on FB
    Nope

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    No, given another opportunity I may not have met the great people I know and made worse decisions. Generally I'm happy with a few inconsequential moans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick Jones on FB
    Square one would literally involve being born again. No thanks – it wasn't pretty the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike King on FB
    Nope because then I would have re-endure all the issues and not have the experience to cope with them that I do now

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fraser Stewart on FB
    Not sure but I would settle for the body of an 18 year old and the wisdom of an 80 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tim Preston on FB
    Knowing what is revealed, I don't think I could be arsed

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chris Machin on FB
    Only if I could have had you as my mentor

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    Absolutely but not right back there are aspects of growing up I would not want to relive. Maybe just back as far as Spec Copy at Dale ......honestly the best of times!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nick Jennings on FB
    even if i made all the same mistakes again! I wouldn't miss it for the world! It's been a hell of a ride

    ReplyDelete
  14. I doubt that God thinks much about starting over. We are the tiniest of specs in whatever infinity is. So tiny we don't really exist.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mel Mackuin on FB
    No - this IS my life and I've not finished yet!

    Mel Mackuin
    Not my words but I totally agree with them - 'as I look back on my life, I realise that every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being redirected to something better'

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrew Height
    Sounds like you have already pushed the reset button then Mel Mackuin

    ReplyDelete
  17. Andy B D Bickerdike on FB
    Depends.. Is it a full reset?

    Andy B D Bickerdike
    After some things today, I'd happily hit it twice just to make sure

    ReplyDelete