Friday 5 October 2012

The bobbet tin…

Screws, nuts and bolts, nails, hooks and eyes, tacks, panel pins, washers, the odd rivet or two – who of us doesn’t have an old biscuit tin somewhere, almost too heavy to lift, and choc full of odd bits and pieces collected over the years?

We’re magpies us men, or at least I am. I simply can’t bear to throw away that ‘one too many’ screws supplied with the flat pack chest of drawers or all those bits you don’t really need when you put together the kitchen units. You start with an old tobacco tin, but soon progress and before you know it you have a two-litre plastic ice-cream tub full of red rusty and whitely calcifying metal. Whenever I need something to fix another something I usually end up looking in the same place eventually; “I’ll look in the bobbet tin,” I say.

Yes, I call them bobbet tins. I don’t know why, but that’s what I call them.

My dad buried one in a field once; not a plastic ice-cream tub, there weren’t any back then, but a round floral biscuit bobbet tin, Huntley and Palmer’s probably. Bits and pieces he’d ‘borrowed’ from the Morris’ works at Cowley where he worked building the Morris Minor. The factory police were calling around, searching houses for nicked components. Apparently pilfering was rife and engines were ‘brought out’ to order. One chap, Tinker I think his name was, was rumoured to have brought out a complete Minor, piece by piece, under his overcoat. I don’t think they’d have worried too much about my dad’s tin of springs and nuts and bolts, but it was probably better “safe than sorry” he said.

My granddad, a blacksmith, had all kinds of metal paraphernalia in tins and boxes all around the forge, covered in oil and black with soot. What a treasure house for an eight year old boy, a surprise under every workbench, a miracle on each shelf. After an hour or so of exploration and meddling, I’d re-emerge into the light up to my elbows in grease and muck to be sent off to the washhouse to clean up with my granddad’s big tin of strong smelling Swarfega. Now then, was it orange or was it green, or as my granddad would have said “Naw than, werrit orange or werrit green?” Either way, it did the trick. I felt the proper little workman as I smeared my hands and arms with the strongly smelling stuff. I can smell it now even if I don’t know what it smelled of… and it was green, definitely green.

Whenever I open my own tin of bobbets in the cellar, turning over the metal things and getting my fingers darkly stained with reddened rust, trying to avoid the sharp points of the nails and screws, looking for that washer that never seems to be quite the right size, I remember that foggy morning my dad and I buried his guilty tin in a farmer’s field, still smell the hard metal of my granddad’s forge and the Swarfega in the wooden washhouse.

I hardly ever find what I’m looking for, and if I do it’s always at the bottom of the bobbet tin with all the dust and debris. I lift my fingers to my nose and breathe in the smell of old metal and old past and stand remembering… and it always seems to take me ages to try to find what I am looking for.

I wonder why? 

20 comments:

  1. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    I think us ladies have the equivalent in the form of a button tin...... Great blog as always. I remember Uncle George used to use swarfega, and yeah sure it was green, I didn't like the smell!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kieran Goodwin on FB
    I keep finding things like this around the place after buying my grandparents old house. Not that I'm without my own collection of odd car parts and odds and ends...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Height on FB
    I love the smell, I just can't remember what it reminds me of.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Andrew Height on FB
    Never threw anything away then Kieran? Good people.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Andrew Height on FB
    I remember your dad's cobbler's lasts Lindsey. He had a bobbet box too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda Kemp on FB
    we have both bobbet boxes and button tins from several collectors - magic! I remember the Swarfega smell too, what do people use now? Do they still make it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew Height on FB
    Indeed they do Linda, but now it is orange! http://www.arco.co.uk/brand/Swarfega/-9254?gclid=CIie3sLM6rICFQfKtAodxXIACQ

    Arco - Product Search Results
    www.arco.co.uk
    Shows you all products based on your selected category or chosen search.

    ReplyDelete

  8. Linda Kemp on FB
    do you think it smells the same?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew Height on FB
    I doubt it, it really was a very strong and strange smell. I guess it smells of oranges, lemons - people don't like odd smells these days. I hope that Vick and Deep Heat isn't ever changed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz Shore on FB
    Aww, my dad has kilner jars sorted into screws, nails and washers. I haven't seen them since I was little but I'm going to check that they're still there when I visit tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrew Height on FB
    I did that sorting thing once, but there's nothing quite like a good rummage - besides what would i do with the bent nails and the screws with no heads?

    ReplyDelete

  12. Sharon Taylor on FB
    yes it was green and although female I have old coffee jars full of very useful nails, screws and assorted things. There must always be areas to keep assorted useful things - old jugs or a kitchen drawer, is it a comfort thing or a family memory, my other half does not know why I do it.....

    ReplyDelete

  13. Emma Cholmondeley on FB
    Whenever I smell creosote memories always come flooding back of warm summer days when I was a child.
    Swarfega still smells strange, I have a tub

    ReplyDelete

  14. Laura Keegan on FB
    U had me at swarfega! Dad used to have a bag full on the back of the garage door when I was little, if we'd been "helping" in the garage we could dip our hands in. Can smell it now....

    ReplyDelete

  15. Laura Keegan on FB
    I wrote that before I read your blog, it was orange 25 yrs ago I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete

  16. Andrew Height on FB
    Ah Laura, but 50 years ago when I was a boy in the washhouse it was green.

    ReplyDelete

  17. Nick Jennings on FB
    :-) got so many theyre now categorised, screws in one, washers in another etc, but you know the minute you throw any away, thats the one you find you needed. Assumed they were called Bobbet tins after John Wayne B..., but realised it's spelt differently. Perhaps I thought it was stuff which you had no need for at that moment but hadnt thrown it in a field yet :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. B. Kapral
    Anyway, brilliant blog - I too have a love of bits and pieces of old screws, metal bits to hold things together and hooks and nails that can be used for a variety of tasks. Mine are kept in a plastic box with a handle - I inherited this trait from my Dad also, who loved to tinker away from the house or in the attic and would keep some amazing odds and sods in an old wooden tool box, which I loved to rummage through and come up with new uses for or just listen to him explain where he found them or what they were from - it was indeed a treasure trove of stories and it was our time to indulge each other with useless information. Later we both moved on to car boot sales, picking up unusual things which had no use, but might possibly come in handy one day. I miss my Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lloydy:
    Excellent blog!
    Nothing should ever go to the tip or for recycling before it has been dismantled for all it's potentially reusable parts. The process of dismantling is enjoyable in itself as is the sense of achievement when you are able to put a freecycled component to a second use. I also hate having to shell out five quid or more for those pathetic little plastic B&Q envelopes containing half a dozen screws. It's almost as if they are trying to sell a pack of uncut diamonds. Thankfully, there's still one place locally where I can buy nails and screws by the pound and where the staff know their clouts from their lost-heads and their AFs from their BSFs.

    ReplyDelete