Thursday 11 October 2012

If the hat fits…

Ever since the accusations about Jimmy Savile I’ve been thinking long and hard about the whole thing, particularly in light of what I believe about the Megan Stammers and Jeremy Forrest case.

I think that I am now at a point, given the mounting evidence against this very clever man, that I've made my mind up and I don't give a shit that he isn't here to defend himself. As I see it - lucky for him, and a shame for his victims.

I'm pretty sure, after watching the documentary, that Uncle Jim did the things that these women claim he did. I'm also pretty sure that some, probably all of them, weren't comfortable with it at all. Whichever way you look at it, it seems that Mr Savile was a manipulative serial rapist and I have to say that it has long been mooted that he liked far too young girls - surely everybody had heard that, it was whispered when I was in my teens.

Or did people really just think that he was just a little eccentric, no harm in him, a bit of a card?

I think another description might be monster; we’ll have to see; after all there hasn’t been an investigation yet. What is coming across the more that I look at it though, is that JS must have been a sad, lonely figure who couldn't form or didn't want real relationships. The sex might have been a way for him to pretend that he was a 'normal' red-blooded male when he probably wasn't, and by all accounts he liked it over with quickly. I don’t know what he was but I do know that he worshipped his mother, liked to wrestle, was outrageously camp in appearance and seemed incapable of growing up - a bit of a National Treasure really.

And a knight of the realm don’t forget.

I hope they ask a profiler just what he or she thinks about Jim.

In his defence, the times were very different back then. Lots of women married at sixteen and were serial mothers by 20. People were out at work in pits and factories at 15. You grew up quicker in the sixties and seventies, and of course a couple of generations earlier and those same teenagers would have been dead in a trench somewhere in France.

Yes, times were very different back then. I think we tend to forget that, in the world we inhabit now, our children are coddled and middle-aged adults live at home until they can save up enough money to buy a one room flat and when they do leave home they spend their time playing video games and eating pizza . Not too unlike Jimmy Savile really – which is worrying.

Context is everything, and I’m sure that all of the above will be used in Jimmy Savile’s defence as context for his actions. Even so, what JS did was very wrong in my mind. It isn’t just about what he did, it's also about the way he used his position to access it along with the serial nature of what he was doing. If he'd made a mistake with just one girl, even maybe if he’d had feelings for them all, I might have to think a little harder. But he didn’t, he just repeatedly abused lots of probably silly, certainly scared, feeling obliged, too-young teenage girls and the times in which it happened makes no difference at all. Nothing makes any difference for what I have no doubt he did.

On the Paedophile scale, with Jeremy Forrest being a one and Ian Huntley a ten, I’d put Jimmy Savile at an eight at least.

No, there's no excuse for him at all; deceased or not. Pass him the paedophile hat; he deserves to wear it.


3 comments:

  1. The more that comes out about this the worse it gets. For me it is no surprise and I never liked him as an entertainer or a DJ. He just seemed wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the Facebook string this post generated.

    Lorna Gleadell and Andy Danger Bickerdike like this.

    Linda Kemp
    hmmm, not quite sure how to respond......


    Andy Danger Bickerdike
    I like the fishes...


    Andrew Height
    You don't have to Linda. The truth will say it all.


    Andrew Height
    Pass him the paedophile hat; he deserves to wear it.


    Glynne T Kirkham
    Monster 100% no excuses. Like you said, he is lucky he is dead. Also the 'defence' of kids growing up faster in those days, isn't really valid. The point is he preyed on kids who he knew didn't really know what was going on. These reports of attacks on kids in hospitals is just truly sick.


    Andrew Height
    I think that we may find this opens a whole can of worms.


    Linda Kemp
    oh dear, they're talking about digging him up.......


    Mick Norman
    Digging him up would certainly open a can of worms, he's been down there a little while...

    Glynne T Kirkham
    Is it true he was buried at a 45 degree angle?

    Andrew Height
    ironic considering my previous comment.

    Andrew Height
    He said it was so that he could look out to sea.

    Glynne T Kirkham
    I don't see what good it would do to dig him up. He's probably best left down there.

    Mick Norman
    There should have been a rear view mirror on the headstone so he could see the police coming too.

    Andrew Height
    I always try and see things from the other point of view. Not Savile, as I say in my blog he's an 8 on the Forrest/Huntley scale.

    Denise Smart
    he is from my home town and quite frankly he makes me vomit

    Mike King
    What happened to innocent until proven guilty? I don't condone what he may or may not have done but let's have a fair trial before we start reaching for the pitchforks (or should that be spades).

    Andrew Height
    I can wait Mike. He's as guilty as hell but like Lance Armstrong clever enough to hide the truth. I'm a real believer in assessing the evidence but this is one hell of a cover up. Dig him up and grind his bones to dust - might as well be now, but as I say I can wait.

    Simon Parker
    With you on your scores out of ten Andi and I'm left desperately wishing that this all came out before his death. If guilty, and that is surely the case, it angers me that he got away with it and was never stopped or held accountable.

    David Bell
    In the late 70'm an old girlfriend of mine worked behind the bar in a Leeds nightclub called Le Phonographique. She knew JS well and despised him because he was a known perv even then.

    Andrew Height
    My wife's aunt went out with him a couple of times in Manchester in the sixties when she was a 'girl'. She changes the subject if he's brought up. I was brought up not far from Oxford he was the talk of the local pubs because some of the doctors and nurses at Stoke Mandeville lived and drank in the same town. Amazing that it just kept getting accepted..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dig him up, tie them to a horse and drag his bones across the length and breadth of England.
    Like · · Unfollow post

    Nick Jones He's probably getting bummed repeatedly in hell, Andy, don't worry about it.
    11 hours ago · Like

    Sarah Rawden Unfortunately he is dead and will never answer for what he did...I think the focus should be on the victims, providing them help if they need or want it and discussing why so many people would rather turn a blind eye than face up to what goes on under their own noses....its all so very sad :o(
    10 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Alan Gregory ever thought of becoming A Daily Mail columnist ?
    10 hours ago · Like

    Andrew Height I'm well suited for that Alan, although I do tend to understate things.
    10 hours ago · Like

    Alan Gregory hmmm you're becoming a bit too Angry of Peckham - all smart suit with stockings and suspenders underneath - careful, age isnt an excuse for leading a flame welding mob
    10 hours ago · Like · 1

    Andrew Height You fool. grab a torch and follow me to the castle. He's building a monster up there and he has to be stopped.
    10 hours ago · Like

    Andrew Height Maybe I'm watching too much Soldier's Wives. Anyway today it'll probably be jam jars and an ageing man's remeberances of a rose tinted childhood.
    10 hours ago · Like

    Mike King What Alan Gregory said.
    10 hours ago via mobile · Like

    Mike King Groan that's awful!!
    10 hours ago via mobile · Like

    Alan Gregory agreed , now deleted
    10 hours ago · Like

    Alan Gregory this week has shown one thing though - Jimmy Saville & Lance Armstrong are a warning against canonisation. The real saints are people you've never heard of
    10 hours ago · Like · 2

    Andrew Height I may blog Lance Armstrong - really clever stuff he did. You have to admire somebody who was so obviously cheating and fooleed the world for so long. Here's an article I wrote about him a few days ago just before it broke. http://www.bet-calculator.co.uk/lance-armstrong-doping/

    The Lance Armstrong Doping Controversy
    www.bet-calculator.co.uk
    Lance Armstrong - clever fraud or persecuted hero? ?There comes a point in every...
    See more
    10 hours ago · Like · Remove Preview

    Tony Payne Cromwell ended up that way
    9 hours ago via mobile · Like

    ReplyDelete