Tuesday 2 October 2012

The death of the bread fairy...

Call the police! I think my wife may have killed the bread fairy, let me explain.

A strange and almost unprecedented event took place this morning; we almost ran out of bread. In fact we came so close to running out that when I opened the plastic wrapper I found only three slices and two of those were crusts, which, in our house for some reason I really can’t fathom, are deemed inedible. Yes, I’m sure that you can imagine my shock, no bread – had the bread fairy died?

Up until this morning the bread fairy had been entirely reliable, often (usually now that I come to think about it) filling the bread cupboard with so many loaves that it was often a litter of half eaten, opened packages of all colours and sizes; some of which had decided to start to return to source and very gently had begun to mould in that fluffy green way that bread tends to. I wondered what could have possibly gone wrong as I toasted, not with wine but in a toaster, the remaining slice of acceptable bread and one of the two usually discarded crusts. The cupboard was bare. How could that be? Had we forgotten to make a wish or something?

As I pondered the fact that either a slice bread is bigger than it used to be or that the toaster had shrunk, I mentioned our lack of bread to my wife. She was, as usual, running late and rushing around trying to do a dozen things at once before setting off to work. She really should take it a little easier you know and not get so wound up, because when I mentioned our lack of bread she almost bit my head off claiming that nobody had told her that we were nearly out. I looked at her puzzled, dumbfounded and relieved that I hadn’t been fool enough to mention that the toaster had shrunk or (God forbid!) that the bread was too big.

What difference would telling her have made I wondered? After all, it was the bread fairy that was at fault… and then a thought crossed my mind. Had my wife done something to upset the bread fairy? Had they maybe had an argument and in a fit of pique my wife had told her to get out and never return… or maybe even worse?

Surreptitiously I scanned the room for evidence of trouble, a broken wing or perhaps a discarded fairy bell. But I couldn’t see anything and so returned to buttering my toast whistling nervously as I did so. Well, I might be in the presence of a fairy killer for all I knew. Fortunately my wife left soon after, leaving me in peace to eat my toast and mourn the passing of the bread fairy.

Oh well, at least the shirt and toilet-roll fairies are still around. Thank heavens for small mercies.

10 comments:

  1. Linda Kemp on FB you have too many fairies in your house, time some of them had holiday!
    11 hours ago · Like

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    yeah wonder why crusts of bread dont often get eaten? sure the bread fairy will be back in action by the morning....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard Shore on FB
    That fairy has nice babs

    ReplyDelete

  4. Michael Pleb Snow on FB
    One or two rather pert items notwithstanding, this could be one of the Bog people of

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebekina Brookes-Tsang‎ and ‎Kieran Goodwin‎ like this.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Joely Saffron Sant on FB
    Squash the boobs a bit and that could be me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Andrew Height If you need it doing I'll give you a special rate!

      Delete

    2. Joely Saffron Sant Haha they've already been done, thanks anyway!

      Delete