Friday 18 December 2009

Catching on...

Why does Misty love boxes so much? Put one down and she’s straight into it.

When I rescued her from the cellar that time, the first thing she did once she’d had some food was find a box, climb inside, and fall asleep. Maybe before she was abandoned at the farm she lived in a box with her sisters, maybe she remembers it. She spends an awful lot of time in and out of boxes, playing, sitting, sleeping, or simply messing around. We’ve bought her baskets, fully enclosed deluxe faux leather beds, cushions, even a chair-bed that hangs off the radiator – but in the end it’s a nice box Misty prefers, she seems to feel secure in boxes…

‘You know where you are with a box, they’re good and solid without being too hard, you can hide in them, play in them, you can even make an escape hatch if your claws are sharp enough. Always best to have an escape hatch – you can never be too sure what’s creeping up on you, there’s always some catastrophe around the corner, something trying to cat-ch you.

Some times I eat in my box, whatever Foodies has catered for me, other times I sleep - I love a cat-nap. As soon as I’m snug in my box I just close my eves and fall asleep. It’s almost as if I had catatonia, although I can categorically state that I haven’t.

The catalyst for my love of boxes was probably falling into that cellar. Ever since that happened I’ve really liked dark enclosed spaces. I know that Hisfault thinks it was a catalogue of disasters but for me it was almost a mystical experience. Being in that cellar on my own, in the dark, was like being in an empty dusty catacomb or inside a cathedral.

Funny how things turn out - my trip to the cellar could have been cataclysmic for me, I might have panicked, I may even have died, but instead all that happened was that I fell in love with boxes! I thought Hisfualt would have guessed that, He’s usually much better at catching on to these things.

Can’t wait for Christmas day, bet there'll be plenty of boxes around then…’

4 comments:

  1. The cat seems to have been taken over by the evil spirit of Richard Whitely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda Kemp commente on Facebbok:

    "Hooray it's Friday - Misty Day!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet and appealing you look Misty. I don't know why any pet or small child owner buys fancy stuff when a box and a piece of string is all that is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes - but we did it again yesterday and bought her a pop-up cat tent in brown plush for Christmas! Will we never learn?

    ReplyDelete