Monday 28 December 2009

Painting with sunlight…

We popped into Porthmadog yesterday to see what we could find in the sales. Of course we’d forgotten it was Sunday, that we are in Between time, and that we are in Wales, so all the normal rules of post Christmas sale madness don’t apply. Everything, apart from the supermarkets was shut, it was hardly worth the trouble.

As we walked back to the car park carrying our single plastic carrier bag of bargain Christmas wrapping paper and a box of crackers ready for next Christmas (pathetic), the sun suddenly burst through a cloud and illuminated the snow topped mountains in the distance turning the distant snow Prussian blue washed titanium white and the fields below burnt umber and vermilion with a slash of cadmium and a hint of mixed lime green.

I had to hold my breath for the minute or so it was in view and managed to snatch this with my camera phone. It made me wonder… how did Turner manage without a camera?

Hardly worth the trouble? Maybe I found a bargain after all.

4 comments:

  1. We have smow on the mountains to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a convert to buying Christmas cards etc in the Jan sales. Must remember you have them though when it comes to next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard Shore commented on Facebook "Painting with sunlight…":

    "What a fantasic landscape. Is umber a colour?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glynne T Kirkham commented on Facebook "Painting with sunlight…":

    "Nice. I'd rather see some scenery like that than go shopping. I saw a grumpy old lady in Tescos yesterday, I wished her merry Christmas. Her reply...

    F off!"

    ReplyDelete