Friday 4 December 2009

Should Misty go?

You may remember that Misty was dumped as a kitten at Geronwys’ Farm in Wales and for a couple of weeks she lived in a box in one of his sheep sheds. When she came to us she couldn’t have been more than six weeks old and I’ve enjoyed recounting her adventures in this blog - from getting trapped in our sub-cellar to getting stuck up a telegraph pole.

Well, my blog is almost a year old now and I think it’s about time that I reviewed direction. I know it seems like What a Wonderful Life rambles here and rambles there, but it does have some structure and Misty had always been my Friday subject.

Question is – should it stay that way?

Mr Shore has always thought that by the time Friday comes around I’ve run out of things to write about, so I use Misty as a kind of feline filler. Furthermore, he doesn’t believe that Misty can talk and tells me that I’m just me writing down my own thoughts. He says that Misty is boring and that other people think that Misty is boring as well and that this can be proven statistically by plotting the number of comments that Misty gets on a Friday against the comments other posts get - and he produced a scatter graph to prove it ‘ONCE AND FOR ALL!

He says that I’m fixated on ‘THAT DAMNED CAT, and that none of you are interested in reading about Misty, and he says that I should Kill Misty off (preferably for real) but failing that at least as a feature in WAWL. He says that my Misty posts are driving away my readers, that there is nothing more pathetic than an unread blogger, and that soon the only person reading my blog will be me (and Misty).

I don’t know. He could be right. What should I do - should I drop Misty from What a Wonderful Life or not?

Please let me know your thoughts. By the way I haven’t mentioned this to Misty yet and I’d ask that you don’t mention it to her either, she may find it upsetting.

20 comments:

  1. I do not think Misty is boring. Mr Shore should learn that just because less comments are made re Misty does not necessarily indicate lack of interest.( Statistics can be made to prove anything.) The art of listening(reading) without the need to put in our two penneth on all subjects is a skill to be developed!!
    Now as for those hissing ducks.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty,to STAY!!!
    and its gOronwy fyi!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not listen to the nay-sayers. Rik is WRONG!
    Misty should appear every day, even if just as a paw-note.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remeber saying all of that, but it does sound like the kind of thing I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol rshore :-) Misty should stay, it would be a catastrophy to let her go

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alan Spence e-mailed:

    The great thing about cats is that they kill for fun. No remorse what so ever. You could not find a species more devoid of any emotional attachment.

    Self absorbed, pleasure seeking, self indulgent poopdeckers,each and every one of them.

    The times I have seen them looking at their reflection in the mirror admiring everything that is empty and loathsome about themselves.
    It is no surprise that they always manage to find someone they can fool into loving them.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr Shore - is that not the sCATter graph you shoewd me? Backing down now aren't you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan Spence--- cats sound remarkably like homo sapien.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shore just e-mailed:

    'I do not hate cats, I simply prefer the posts that give us a window onto your soul, rather than your rambling pussy thoughts'.

    He's running scared now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep the cat. Drown the ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, if you want some unsustainable reactionary comment in order to spice up this rather dull cat post, here I go.

    I just happen the think that the cat is self obsessed and dull. If I wanted to fill my life with rubbish like that I'd never have left development.
    Statistics cannot be made to prove anything, they can however be interpreted incorrectly by people who don't know what they are doing.
    Alan seems to be the only on around here with any sense. It's interesting that it's only the girls that seem to like the cat - I include you in that Mitchell with your Whitely-esc puns. I suppose it's difficult for them to keep anything other than kittens and fluffy bunnies in their pretty little heads.

    Was that more like the kind of thing you were looking for, and if so do I win a prize?

    ReplyDelete
  12. See I told you he was a bad man...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrew Bickerdike commented on Facebook:

    "misty to stay!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might try to provide a proof for Godwin's law.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with Mr Shore. Nothing to do with his reasoned argument I'm alleric to cats. I'm starting to itch now. Dump the cat !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Catlover tweeted me:

    Save Misty the cat! Misty the cat Rocks! Misty the cat for Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Firstly a small confession....

    In a previous life I had a nom-de-plume of "The Reverend Nathaniel Cat-Hater" and published a blog titled "Preserve Wildlife Pickle a Kitten".

    I published such useful recipies as "Ginger Kitten Surprise - suprise the bastard throw it in a wok full of hot oil" and other such tasty treats. As you can imagine the e-mail I received was delightful!

    However, these days I'm a reformed character so I think the cat should stay, but please keep it to one day a week as I prefer your more random musings...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rik has had it in for Misty from the start - don't listen to him. Misty is the star of your blog and I'd never forgive you if you dropped her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If I can take a break from playing the fool for a moment, I think your posts are at their best when you are writing of and for yourself. Bowie never wrote for his audience he wrote for himself and if people listened they listened because they wanted to. Write the blog you want to, not the one that others want. Ditch the cat though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. r.shore - I'm not sure that is such a good idea. I know what he has in there and some of it is isn't pretty.

    And for those of you that don't know what rshore was talking about previously - Godwin's Law states:

    "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches".

    ReplyDelete