Sunday 27 May 2012

Doll...

photoshop coloured scan for those that dream in colour
There was a time when all I would have needed to know that I was a success was to get an illustration published in the Radio Times. A few years later I met someone who’d done just that, he even came along to one of the legendary parties at my house. A few years after that he was applying to me for a job to stick together pieces of paper … but he failed the psychometric testing.

I pulled strings, but sometimes even a master puppeteer fails. That’s the way with alcoholism, he lost it all through the shakes. Poor Carl, best damned line man I'd ever met as well.

These days, as I’m sure you all know, I doodle.

ink on card original for those that dream
in black and white
If this doodle were in the Radio Times it would illustrate an ‘Afternoon Theatre’ story on Radio 4 about a poor Victorian mother who, on losing her only child to the coughing disease, seeks solace in a spiritualist medium. The medium uses a specially manufactured doll to lift the veil, opening the door to the other side; that hidden side behind the veil of tears, the place where only children and dolls can go.

And the rest…

Well, as in all good tales of mystery and imagination - the doll seems to gain a life of its own with inexplicable and terrifying consequences for both the medium and the mother.

I’ll leave the rest for your imagination. By the way, when you go to sleep tonight – don’t look under the bed...

Pleasant dreams.

Mama. Mama. Mama.

7 comments:

  1. Lindsey Messenger on Facebook:
    oooooooh scary....not gonna look under the bed for sure.....sweet dreams!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Della Jayne Roberts on Facebook: ♥ Glad it's daylight here. I could never watch Chucky movies.

    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PCnqAcAO6r0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara Katral e-mailed

    Blog so funny you should be on HIGNFY - oh you were! Well Captain, I will definately have sweet dreams tonight! What is spooky is that I didn't win Euromillions either -how wierd is that - I think we must be soul-mates! I even put my ticket in my money plant just to make sure, stupid money plant has a price to pay for not helping, might just not water it this week. I keep thinking about The Raggy Dolls - it was a favourite Tv show for me and Sam. Why do I keep thinking about Magwitch? Why do men DO THAT with their hair................ I take it Englebert didn't win Eurovision? So saaaaad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Bell on Facebook:
    The stuff of nightmares

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some David, for some - for others a blessing from beyond...

      Delete
  5. Drawforjoy Illustrations on Faceboook:
    i love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roxana - a compliment indeed from one so gifted as yourself.

      Delete