Thursday 17 May 2012

Blog wandering…

I found my mind wandering to Katie Cake this morning. You remember Katie don’t you? She couldn’t resist cake. Yes? No? Well anyway, for one reason or another I found my mind wandering to Ms. Cake, so I went looking for her on my laptop. Now my laptop isn’t the most organised thing (my naming conventions aren’t really searchable and my memory scrambled) and at first I couldn’t find her but eventually whether by chance or divine intervention, I eventually opened a folder within a folder within a folder - and there she was. In fact there they all were… my long lost posts.

Yes, my long lost posts.

Some time ago something happened and for some reason I lost my old blog folder, couldn’t find it anywhere, it was gone and with it my Dali cat, the Yo-Yo Monster, Ship of Fools, and a thousand memories. Finding that folder again was like bumping into an old friend and I spent a while just looking through all those old days, some of them on the blog but not all – the pictures of Misty and her Cat Cam that I never used, rejected photographs of clouds and sunsets, half started blog posts that I put to one side and never picked up again (careful - they may pop up some day soon, my life was more interesting back then).

I was lost in there for hours, caught up in the sunny days and cold winters, long walks on beaches, flowers grown from seed, pets and pots and pitfalls. I stumbled around for a while amazed by just how much stuff there was, blowing off the dust, opening up long forgotten treasure… Did I really do this? Could I really not remember that?

And then it struck me, maybe not for the first time, but again and hard. It seems to me that sometimes this blog of mine is more me than me and anyone looking for me would find me here in the words and images, memories and observations, language and statements. When I started this whole thing I knew that it was going to be all about me, I said as much in my early posts. But guess what, it turns out that it isn’t just all about me… it is me. If I ever forget who I am, I can always come here. What a relief.

Anyway drop by anytime, kettles always on and there’s always a piece of cake.

Katie Cake
(or the dangers of cake making)
Katie Cake, oh Katie Cake,
All she ever did was bake.
Up with dawn all wide awake,
Setting to with no mistake,
As though her very life at stake,
Nor any rest did she ever take,
Although her hands would pain and ache,
Of food, she never would partake,
And water too, she did forsake,
She mixed until her legs would shake,
And tiny eyes turned red opaque,
Till mouth would bleed and knees did quake,
And the tips of her fingers began to flake,
She mixed so hard her arm did break!

Oh Katie Cake, oh Katie Cake
Stop baking cake for heaven’s sake,
Instead take that bloodied lump of steak
And warm it in your skillet.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you've backed-up your ancient laptop. It would be a tragedy if all these little treasures were lost forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet... I will, I have a bid external hard drive.

      Delete