Sunday 20 May 2012

Every woman has her price...


Damn, I’ve torn my jeans and there was I hoping to never buy any new clothes again. Hard to believe that I once cared so much about the way I looked and what I wore that I’d spend a couple of good bottles of wine on a tie and a holiday on a suit. Long time ago now, when I was in shape, when people used to look at me.

Isn’t it strange, when you are young people look at you because you look so great, but as you age for most of us the only way to get noticed is to do just the opposite. Of course this isn’t true of everybody - Mr. Eastwood, Mr. Connery, Ms. Fonda - but even those guys would probably admit that they were easier seen when they were younger - and without their celebrity…. well, who knows.

Anyway, back to me – the subject I know most about. These days I’m almost invisible to the people that pass me in the street. Oh some may look, but not in admiration, they might see the grey cloud above my head or my grey hair and think it a trifle too long and unkempt. They might see the ordinariness of my outside - a middle aged man with a bad back becoming a shamble, beginning to fade. They might even see the different way of thinking behind my eyes, making them look and hurry away. But most see nothing. You have to know me to see me you see, and I’m not the easiest to get to know.

The thing is I say what I think. Now don’t get me wrong, I hate getting in people’s faces and will usually remain silent when I disagree, but ask me for an opinion and that is what you get. Well, you did ask. It’s got me into difficulties so many times.... Like this? No. Don’t you agree? No. That picture is awful isn’t it? No. Do you really mean that? Yes.

I like to think that I can’t be bought, but of course I can; and cheap. I’ve been cheaply bought all my life and after a while - well you either bite back or disappear. I’m not quite sure which it is yet, I’m still thinking. Cheaply bought for a kiss or a smile, a promise, a few quid, a drink or two, a child, a threat, a few tears – yes, I’m still thinking – bite back or disappear?

A woman I know in the rag trade made this manikin the other day. She saw it as a way of displaying her costume jewellery; I saw it as a work of art. She laughed when I told her, giving me that look that says ‘are you sending me up?’

“Make me an offer.” She said.

So I did.

It’s mine now. I think I got it cheap, but she seemed very happy with the price I offered, counting out the pile of twenties and smiling. I haven’t done much to change it, just moved a few brooches – a treble clef here, a fairy there. I’ve added a shattered crystal heart and a spider and of course reduced the prices on all the tickets, selling them cheap. If I find a kiss I’ll pin that to her too.

I call it: ‘Every Woman Has Her Price’.

It isn’t about women though, we all have our price - it’s just that this happens to be a female. Yes, we all have our price - and more often than not we sell ourselves cheap.

Want her? Make me a good offer and she’s yours.


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surrounded by invisibility - sometimes it's better that way.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avec le vin, toujours avec du vin et un fromage cheddar belle maturité de la rivière.

      Delete
  4. I can write what I like, nobody reads it anyway.
    http://akh-wonderfullife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/every-woman-has-her-price.html

    what a wonderful life...: Every woman has her price...
    akh-wonderfullife.blogspot.com
    Like · · Unfollow post · Share
    Della Jayne Roberts, Liz Shore and Michael Snow like this.

    Martin A W Holmes Did you see that documentary recently - I think it was an "Arena" - about Dr Jonathan Miller...? He seems to be spending his "twilight years" creating artwork using "found objects" and simultaneously aggravating Mrs Miller by cluttering up the house with "old junk". Odd how the thought just sprang to mind... After all everything is art, from a certain point of view ;-)
    Yesterday at 18:43 · Like

    Luna Height What's he going on about now. He should stick to feeding me.
    Yesterday at 18:44 · Like · 1

    Martin A W Holmes Hey, he bought you a new scratching post, what more do you want...?
    Yesterday at 18:45 · Like

    Martin A W Holmes Oh, and incidentally "I can write what I like, nobody reads it anyway..." I haven't seen such flagrant fishing since I last tried it myself and, no, it didn't work for me, either... ;-)
    Yesterday at 18:51 · Like

    Emma Cholmondeley Like....very much!
    Yesterday at 18:53 via Mobile · Like

    Lindsey Messenger I always read what you write!!!!... this nearly had me in tears at one point..
    23 hours ago · Like

    Kate Fox wonderful
    22 hours ago · Like

    Kevin Parrott You can write what you like, and you should.
    Just because we might not comment, doesn't men we haven't read what you have written and enjoyed reading it.
    22 hours ago · Like

    Jamie Morden You've done more things in your life so far, than others can only dream about...for you, it's doing something new, something nobody has done before...this I can relate to. You're a Maverick, a leaderr, you follow your own path...your path hasn't ended...for me...I'm still learning from you...and others can only follow...
    22 hours ago · Like

    John Hatton I always read what you write?
    22 hours ago · Like

    Mike King Smudge says "tell Lunas Dad if he catches any fishy treats on his fishing trips he should feed them to her as us cats like the fishy treats". I think my cat should stop reading my FB ;)
    11 hours ago via Mobile · Like
    Andrew Height Just goes to show. Thanks.
    10 hours ago · Like

    Mike King Yep, if you fish they will bite ;)
    9 hours ago via Mobile · Like
    Andrew Height You are all great fish but not the one I was after, that one's got away I think.

    ReplyDelete