Saturday 3 December 2011

The lenghtening of the autumn days...

So I decide to make a picture and tell the world on Facebook. Well, not decide exactly, kind of have to.

I set out with my paper and pens with really no idea where this is going and then, after thirty or forty minutes, sometimes far less, of splashing and scratching, pouring and scribbling, I have something - although often at the end of it I have no idea what.

These days though, it doesn’t matter.

Gone are the days of pouring over paper and landscape, slavishly trying to copy the light and shade. I don’t and can’t do that anymore. I’m seeing things differently. I’m making my own light and shade. Or it is making me.

Anyway, it just happens. Thank God.

It’s all there you know, it’s all there if you look - the clowns and the conundrums, the leaves and the leavings, the tears and the blood to make any number of me.

What would Charlie have said? ’Look after your hands boy; they have a talent inside them.’

Maybe. Or maybe it wasn’t the hands, maybe it was the life – mewling, pushing me over and over so many times that eventually I just had to let it out.

Anyway, it just happens. Thank God.

So here it is; the lengthening of the autumn days. Here it all is at almost winter. Well formed upon the page with leaves and sun and moon and shadow and all bright red - and my pricked thumbed autumnal blood.

You work it out. I can’t. It just happens. But it’s all there if you care to look.

Yes. It just happens.

8 comments:

  1. Emma Cholmondeley on Facebook:
    A masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin Tickle on Facebook:
    Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Bell on Facebook:
    Have you tried selling these at the craft fairs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey Messenger on Facebook:
    thats a good idea cause they are great xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma Cholmondeley on facebook:
    Yes definitely. What makes them wonderful is their openess to personal interpretation.
    I would be interested if I saw them in a craft fair or art shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is all there. You see what you want to see. But there are things that can't be missed. What do you see?

    ReplyDelete
  7. David Bell on Facebook:
    dark. dark dark but with a sparkling of joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did anyone have this picture off you? Am I always too late?!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete