Tuesday 7 October 2014

Not doing my tax return…

I think I got in just before the real autumn arrived. You know the one. The one that brings scudding clouds, wet rain, chilly starts, damp mushy leaves, and condensation on the glass when you pull back the curtains in the morning. The real autumn, the one the poets don’t write about; the walking to school with a heavy heart autumn.

But enough of that, it’s been years since I walked to school.

I want to tell you about what I did on Sunday before the real autumn arrived. And what a sun day it was too. It’s hard to believe that since then it has hardly stopped raining. Still, it’s good for the garden and that is what I want to go on about today.

On Sunday I awoke knowing that I wanted to do something but not at all sure what it was. There were plenty of things I didn’t want to do – tax returns, tidying up my corner of the kitchen, putting the ironing away. But on such a lovely day it seemed wrong somehow to fritter it on things not at all frivolous, so I decided to spend Sunday avoiding doing the things I’d avoided doing the Sunday before and indulge myself a little.

Of course fun is in the eye of the beholder, and one man’s fun is another’s torment, but fun can quite often mean a spot of gardening; at least it can for me. So it was off to the nursery just off the M60 with a crumpled twenty-pound note in my hand.

In the spring I like to grow my plants from seed, but at this time of year with only a few pots to plant, I just buy some. Call me a purist but I try to avoid the Garden Centre experience with its restaurant, ornaments, furniture, and Christmas decorations, preferring a place that simply sells plants.

Three trays of yellow, purple, and cream pansies, a couple of trays of orange and mauve violas, four shades of pink cyclamen, a dwarf conifer, an ivy, and a couple of trailing variegated sages later my twenty quid had been well spent.

Back home I emptied the going-over summer bedding from my tired pots and basket and replaced the root compacted compost. I find it hard to throw plants away, so anything that might overwinter was planted in my back yard – just in case. My twenty quids worth of plants filled the basket, four good sized pots, and (because I had plants left over) four or so smaller planters. I even tucked some dwarf narcissus and crocus into the compost of each.

So that’s it. The autumn and winter planting done with even a touch of spring ready to come through in the New Year. I’m looking forward to watching them grow - all very satisfying.

I still need to do my tax return though.

20 comments:

  1. Peter Burns on FB
    Far more enjoyable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Very much more enjoyable Peter.

      Delete
  2. Andrew Height
    I bought the bulbs from Wilkinson's and the pound shop - four quid for 32 mixed narcissus and 24 crocus. Bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ricardo Listeretti
    you get what you pay for

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I think I will do okay with this lot Ricardo. Compost is a great mix and I've added a few secret ingredients. Some of my best 'grows' this year were from the pound shop!

      Delete

    2. Ricardo Listeretti
      frugal cultivation - you write the book

      Delete
    3. Andrew Height
      50 lbs of tomatoes with a packet of seed from the pound shop. Of course my friend in Yorkshire collects his own flower seed each year and his garden is amazing! I love frugal.

      Delete
  4. Sharon Taylor on FB
    Andrew Height, I did much the same on Sunday, the washing and housework will keep for a rainy day! I lined the greenhouse with bubble wrap, well half of it, the roof to do this weekend. I too then moved all pelargonius to the safety, hopefully of said greenhouse, along with any other plant that needs some Winter TLC. This year I am experimenting in layered bulb planting, in theory it should go narcissus (Sainsburies white ones), tulips (Wilkinsons), hyacynth (mail order, well you got 50 free dwarf narcissus with every order) and topped off with a variety of violas, my local family run garden centre has a loyalty scheme, so it was buy 3 packs and get one free. I still have my alliums to plant, a bit late I know but hopefully they will be OK and again it was buy a pack of 7 purple sensation and get 7 white ones free. Can't wait to see what happens, the thought of Spring gets me through the miserable darkness of Winter, I too will think of tax returns later when there is no excuse to go out in the garden XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I like the idea of alliums. May have to invest in some. x

      Delete
    2. Sharon Taylor
      Andrew the £1 shop did have some very nice looking ones, but each time I went they had sold out!

      Delete
    3. Sharon Taylor
      Ricardo Listeretti I have grown a beautiful large pot of fragrant peacock orchids from a £1 pack of bulbs and they have been my best thing ever in the garden, so never say never xxxx

      Delete
    4. Andrew Height
      I'll pop down tomorrow. Thanks Sharon.

      Delete
    5. Andrew Height
      Sharon, I really do think this need to grow things is a family trait.

      Delete
    6. Sharon Taylor
      I just can't stop myself, if there is a seedling I pot it on, if there are seeds to collect I sow them on, if there is dividing to be done I will have baby plants potted. I just can't stop myself, my worry is that I can't pass them on, because I can't keep them because I need to buy new plants to see what I can do with them! My friend says she will clean my house because she loves it, me I would always be gardening in my own little way. I should add that on the Taylor side of the family tree they were all market gardeners around the Boston area, the home of veg :O) If you watched Country file on Sunday xxx

      Delete
  5. Andrew Height
    I know that feeling Sharon. I don't need any more fuchsias but I still potted up 20 cuttings from the standard in my porch because it was looking too bushy..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca Jane Brookes on FB
    That's what Sundays are for

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tim Preston on FB
    good chap

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    And that's just what I did to

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phil Ogden on FB
    It's your 'creativity' genes, Andy. The faint thought of being able to create something new from something old is all powerful. It's always great to be able to tell people that 'oh yes...that...grew it from seed last year." NB: - Thompson & Morgan generally do an annual 'bulk' deal on Allium Hollandicum (Purple Sensation bulbs) - they return beautifully every year - great value!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      You are right Phil. My pots are very carefully arranged and the plants in them teased and trimmed rather than left to their own devices. Ordered some allium purple sensation. Looking forward to it.

      Delete