Sunday 19 January 2014

Sandwich secrets…

Life is too full of decision. How will I ever cope?

You know when you make a sandwich from two slices of white bread? Should you put the two rounded crust pieces together or be a rebel and turn one upside down, top to tail? Should you cut it in half, cut into quarters, or not cut at all? Should you cut on the diagonal or horizontal and should it be top to bottom or side to side?

So many decisions from two slices of bread and I haven’t even considered the filling yet.

I can’t remember the first time I made a sandwich. I don’t remember being taught how to do it, it’s just one of those things that I seem to have always known how to do. Perhaps just watching sandwiches being made was how I learnt the sandwich art. I remember well those school trip sandwiches – egg and cress or luncheon meat, always made from white sliced bread and wrapped in greaseproof paper.

Picnic sandwiches, birthday party sandwiches, packed lunch sandwiches, breakfast sandwiches, feeling peckish sandwiches… I wonder just how many sandwiches I’ve eaten. If I started eating sandwiches aged four and ate just five each week it’s around 13,500 – that’s over 1,300 loaves of bread.

Are bread rolls sandwiches? What about French sticks? Do toasted sandwiches count? Are two slices of bread and butter with no filling a sandwich? Can an open sandwich really be a sandwich? Wraps aren’t sandwiches, are they? Pitas can’t be sandwiches surely?

I’m not one for fancy sandwiches. You can keep your Brie and grape, smoked salmon and cream cheese, and stuff your avocado and sun-dried tomato. I’m more of a traditional sandwich man.

My top ten sandwiches (not ranked):
1. Tuna (or tinned salmon) and cucumber
2. Extra mature Cheddar cheese and chutney
3. Sausage (preferably pork and leek) and mustard
4. Roast chicken and stuffing
5. Sliced egg salad
6. Peanut butter
7. Mashed egg and cress
8. Bacon
9. Roast beef and horseradish
10. Pork and mustard

Ham is sometimes in there and sometimes not, and turkey and cranberry would be in at Christmas. As a boy I loved Daddies Sauce sandwiches and I’m still partial to a luncheon meat sandwich and the occasional corned beef and beetroot sandwich. I like my cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off and plenty of salt on my home grown tomato sandwiches. I don’t like the sandwiches in America – they are far too full. I hate fruit, chocolate spread, and jam sandwiches. I think I like potted paste sandwiches but am always left feeling disappointed and dissatisfied. Prawn sandwiches look great but are usually tasteless and watery. I have never really enjoyed a BLT. I don’t think that chip or fish-finger sandwiches are really sandwiches at all. White bread is better than brown, but sometimes I really like multigrain.

Here are a couple of secret guilty pleasures - I have been known to enjoy a cold baked bean or cold leftover chilli sandwich and (despite not wanting to – honestly) I have made and eaten crisp sandwiches.

There. I’m all sandwiched out.

23 comments:

  1. Buffey Glandon on FB
    Mmmmm tuna....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height
    With vinegar and mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buffey Glandon
    I was thinking salad dressing and dill, but yeah that works...damn now I want, make that need a tuna sandwich. And I really should be sleeping instead of face booking, it is past my 10 a.m. bed time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    My all time favourite is egg & cress on granary...Mmmm nice!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew Height
    You mean dill the pickle or the herb Buffey Glandon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Height
    Crust on or off Lindsey? Squares or triangles?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsey Messenger
    Crust on (mum said eating them would make my hair curl...but hasn't!!)... Triangles x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buffey Glandon
    I meant the herb, with a nice dark german...the bread, lol not a guy. Ok maybe a guy would be ok too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buffey Glandon
    I love dill pickels though. Pretty much anything with dill herb or vinegar is good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew Casson on FB
    Shepherd's Pie toasties. Food of the gods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lorna Gleadell on FB
    cold baked beans, grated cheese and salad cream, mmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cloe Fyne on FB
    Hmmmmm salmon absolutely, followed by pastrami and gherkin and wait for it....... cheese and apple. Cold beans, chilli and crisps great too!!!! Ooooooh and egg!!!! Love egg sanwhiches [ but not in the car]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tim Preston
    Pret-a-manger no bread sandwich?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Andrew Height
    Shepherd's Pie Andrew Casson interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andrew Height
    What county are you from Tim Preston?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrew Height
    Cloe Fyne - Apple on the side but never in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alison Gee
    sliced egg, ham and salad on Waterfields GI bread. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Andrew Height
    What no wholegrain mustard Alison Gee?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Andrew Height
    Try it. Just a little. Or mustard mayonaise.

    ReplyDelete
  20. David Bell on FB
    I used to have a toasted sandwich maker that sealed the edges of the bread around the filling of choice. Beware of the molten hot fillings; beans stick like napalm.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Andrew Height
    Yes, I had one David Bell. I can still remember the blisters. I couldn't kiss for days.

    ReplyDelete
  22. If your life was a sandwich how would you cut the bread and what would you fill it with? I ask because I have this idea that sandwiches are infinite. What would you do?

    Andy B D Bickerdike
    Anchovies and ketchup, cut into triangles..

    Nick Jennings
    of course sandwiches aren't infinite, otherwise at 3 in the afternoon when i realise i'm hungry but my lunch is gone i'd have summat to eat

    Nick Jennings
    fish fingers, loads of butter, on cheap white sliced! or maybe chip butties with cheese in, but the truth is i liked cheese, but i also liked jam, so when i was a kid i used to cheat and have cheese and jam on the same sandwich. I got both, i suppose you might say i had my sandwich and eat it! anyway, depends what day it is

    Laura Keegan
    Oohh. If my life was a sandwich. I'd fill it with my children & surround it in happiness & wealth. Who wouldn't?

    Nick Jennings
    Nick Jennings's photo.

    Gaynor Berry
    Triangles,,!!! Filled with decadent delights!!! Of course !!!!!

    Kerry Swift
    Leftover roast beef and gravy, yummm

    Paul Whitehouse
    Carol Vordermann would be the filling in my 'sandwich'

    Andrew Height
    Not me Laura Keegan, cheese will do.

    Laura Keegan
    Haha x

    Alan Shorrock
    Have you stopped taking your meds Andy?

    Andrew Height
    Not the mind expanding ones Al. You should get some.

    Alan Shorrock
    Ooohhh cutting!

    Sonya Tickle
    Filling, erm... a bit of everything and then cut into star shapes.
    18 January at 10:44 · Like

    Richard Shore I'd have corned beef and I wouldn't cut the sandwich

    Tim Preston
    I eat my sandwich as im making it. When its made I dont want it .................. But I eat it just in case ........... Whats left of it

    David Bell
    Hollow out the bread and fill it with clam chowder. God help anyone who got between me and it.

    ReplyDelete