Thursday 30 January 2014

Holiday clothes…

How does the song go? “I’m going where my weather suits my clothes"? Well, if that’s the case then it looks like I’m going to Smethwick or Leeds or one of those dreary Welsh villages where it always seems to be raining or completely concealed by fog.

Yes, the UK isn’t the best place on earth to show off your summer wardrobe, which in my case consists of a pair of shorts, some flip-flops, and a couple of T-shirts. Mind you, the UK summer is usually so brief that that it’s more than enough. Perhaps that’s why we are all so keen to go abroad.

Which brings me to holiday clothes… you know the things I’m talking about; the clothes that we normally wouldn’t be seen dead in, but simply have to have for the holiday. Why is it that we decide that the blues, blacks, browns, and greys that we usually wear simply won’t do, and rush to purchase clown clothes? Even worse, it seems that the sunnier the clime we are jetting off to, the brighter and more garish our holiday clothes become.

Who doesn’t have a horrendous Hawaiian shirt at the back of his wardrobe or a ridiculously light coloured pair of pastel linen trousers - the ones with the drawstring waist? I once bought a straw panama for my holiday which I teamed with an off-white cotton jacket and a pair of almost matching baggy pants. Did the man from Del Monte say yes? Well, he did say something, but I didn’t quite catch what it was.

It’s even worse when it comes to women. Having worn sensible skirts and blouses for months, they suddenly decide to dress like gypsies and prostitutes and lace up their espadrilles. In a clothes buying frenzy, they throw fashion caution to the wind and with a blaze of hot pink, burnt orange and every shade of pastel imaginable, play ‘stuff as many outfits into a suitcase as possible’. Of course, most of the ‘must have’ outfits are never worn, or in some cases never removed from the case; returning home to the UK at the end of the holiday to languish in a wardrobe.

We must all have a wardrobe or two of holiday togs that’ll never be worn again - well not in this country at least. I remember a time when men simply took off their suit jackets, rolled up their trousers, loosened their braces, and removed their ties when on the beach. There wasn’t a need for holiday clothes; you simply adapted what you already had.

Oh well, summer will soon be here and the holiday clothes saga can start all over again… and don’t forget to pack a sweater just in case it gets chilly at night.

16 comments:

  1. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    Nothing wrong with dressing like a prostitute .....ask any Russian woman !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height
    Yes, I think you are right Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad always wore a blazer to the seaside. Never at any other time. Some of the pictures I have of him on the beach show him without the blazer but never without the tie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange times Mr Lloyd. I remember hoards of me in blazers and grey slacks sitting in deck chairs on the beach. It was like something from Monty Python.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim Preston on FB
    "Awful"? What do you mean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Height
    I think that you know Tim. I've seen some of your holiday pics. Mind you, Mr Alan Shorrock gives you a run for your money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alan Shorrock on FB
    Excuse me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      How do you defend this Alan Shorrock
      Andrew Height's photo.

      Delete
  8. Lindsey Messenger Hey what do you mean women are even worse.....well ok may be your right!!:-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alan Shorrock
    Says the man with the daughter with blue hair. The picture you selected was taken in the late 1980s... Probably about the same time that Larry Grayson stopped wearing his glasses casual slung round his neck on a decorative piece of string. ... Shut that door Mr. Height!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I love the venom Al. I think my point is made

      Delete
    2. Alan Shorrock
      Your point is point...less. As is mine.

      Delete
    3. Andrew Height
      Agreed my friend. We all wore shirts like that in the eighties. I still wear mine when on holiday.

      Delete
  10. Andrew Height
    Lindsey Messenger i may have overstated the case. I once took a tweed jacket to Barbados!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey Messenger
      WHAT!!!....I guess you didn't need to wear it!...well not till you landed back home

      Delete

  11. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    Ummmmm....how long have you got?!!

    Andrew Height
    You have always dressed immaculately.

    Lindsey Messenger
    that's nice...thank you xx

    ReplyDelete