Wednesday 29 January 2014

Kitten roulette…

I’m still removing dead friends (both real and figurative) from my list, but I’m running out of options using my existing criteria. Perhaps the criteria aren’t wide enough or maybe I need new criteria. What should they be though?

There are always those people who have overly sentimental profile pictures - cherubs and kittens, fat puppies and roses. The ‘aw cutes’ as I call them. Maybe I should lose them, although I have to admit to being partial to the odd cute kitten picture or two. Maybe I should apply the opposite and cull those who have strange profiles pictures, in which case I suppose I should cull myself. But what do I do with the people who have strange cute profile pictures - the suicidal kitten people?

And what about the ones who are way too smiley? My happy-clapper friends, the ones who constantly post positive-thought statements or ask me to share if I have a mother/father/sister who I love/respect/miss/are thankful for. Personally I could easily reply to these with something less than positive, but I try not to - so help me God – and as for reposting my feelings on family… well, I wouldn’t lie.

I did consider my friends who make no sense at all. But I actually like people making no sense on Facebook. Besides, I fall into that category myself. I enjoy the enigmatic ‘That was that then.’ or ‘How did that happen?’ with no explanation as to what the event was or what the outcome was after the event. I even like the occasional bit of Zen: ‘When rain comes, seek the rainbow.’ So truly, deeply, meaningfully Om.

Maybe I should ditch the gamers. After all, do I really care that John has just beaten Janet on SongPop or that Mary Contrary has ploughed her turnip field yet again? Bejeweled, Candy Crush, Farmville, Bubble Island, Pet Rescue Saga – am I really interested in your latest score? Just a sec, let me think about it. Errrrrrrrr… no. How many points do I get for that?

How about the people who simply have too many friends on their friend list? Some of my friends have over 1,000 other friends. Just how can you have 1,000 friends and give any of them any attention at all – particularly me, me, me? I’m struggling with under a quarter of that number; hence my clean-up operation. Besides, if I did use total friend numbers as a maker or breaker, what should that cut-off number be? 500? 800? And what if a friend had 501 friends? Could I really justify taking them out just because they were one friend too many on the culling scale?

This culling thing is turning out to be much harder that I expected and I’m not quite the serial culler that I thought I’d be. To date, I haven’t taken down a single friend that will even know about it, and I’m down around twenty including the ship jumper. At least I would be if I hadn’t accepted three new friends over the last couple of weeks. The target I had in mind was around 200 total, but I’m not going to get anywhere near that. I’m not ruthless enough and I’m certainly not going to close my account. That would be too much like Facebook suicide for me to take.

Yep, Facebook might not be real life, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t have to be careful out there. Not everyone uses and treats it in the same way. One mans quip is another’s insult, another woman’s murder someone else’s mercy killing. It’s all too easy to hurt without intending to. Best save the hurt for those that deserve it. Share if you have a mother/father/sister…

I guess I’ll be culling a while longer yet. Be seeing you.

10 comments:

  1. Lorna Gleadell on FB
    Perhaps the people who you are in touch with should pick a name from your friends list for you, ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon Hutt on FB
    If it has become difficult, perhaps it is time to stop. I know there are lots of people on my friends list who I don't see for months or even years, and who don't participate in threads. However when I do see them say how much they love following me and other on Facebook. Its a fact of live that some people are contributors and some followers. Don't dislike them for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I don't Sharon Hutt. It makes good copy though and it also makes me think.

      Delete
  3. Sharon Hutt on FB
    My main criteria for accepting friends is based on whether I actually know them, ie at some point in my life have I had good 1:1 social interaction with them? Secondly did I like them? 3) would I pleased to see them again at some point in my life? If the answer to all is yes then it's an accept. Usually means I don't have to defriend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew Height
    Me too. But sometimes people change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmel Payne on FB

    What about those who share what they're about to eat everytime they sit down in a restaurant ??? Please get rid of a few of these Andy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fraser Stewart on FB
    So….how does it feel being one of life hatred men by cat lovers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fraser Stewart
    Understand your sentiment though. I'm a bit on the negative side of lie myself although I do have happy thoughts but in the right context. Positive people seem to always feel you should have happy thoughts in all situations and it's pretty negative for us negative people.
    10 hours ago · Like

    Andrew Height Fraser at no time have I found you negative. Anyone who can find the good in everything and everyone is fooling themselves. My experience is that 95% of everything and everyone is basically good - but that still leaves the 5%.
    9 hours ago · Edited · Like

    Fraser Stewart I'm not sure that negativity is the right word. I think realism is more appropriate.
    9 hours ago · Like

    Andrew Height Nothing wrong with having a view on the world Fraser. Some see in black and white, others in pink and glitter. Not a problem my friend.
    9 hours ago · Like

    Fraser Stewart Cheers, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And more...

    Nick Jones Russian roulette. That'll shake things up a bit.
    28 January at 10:25 · Like

    Nick Jones i.e. just pick some people at random. Not really Russian roulette at all.
    28 January at 10:27 · Like

    Kathryn Salthouse Oh your ruthless Mr Height x
    28 January at 10:35 · Like

    Ian Maclachlan Sentimentality bleeuuggghh!
    28 January at 10:40 · Like

    Linda Kemp sarky b***ers
    28 January at 10:54 · Like

    Paul Kesterton Combine maths and art, use Fibonacci numbers. 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987, 1597, 2584, 4181, and 6765.
    28 January at 11:19 · Unlike · 2

    Joan McGee Removing 'dead'friends?If that's the effect you have on people I'm getting out now!
    28 January at 11:58 · Unlike · 2

    Lorna Gleadell delete everyone and start again with a new list !!
    28 January at 12:00 · Unlike · 1

    Lucy Cutler What about the people that post the "share if you have a face/like to walk around/have some one that loves you/you like pies" very annoying, and worthy of a cull..... Or at least a 'hide from my feed'! X
    28 January at 12:05 · Unlike · 4

    Richard Shore Passive aggressives
    28 January at 12:49 · Unlike · 1

    Cloe Fyne People to post too many kid pictures. Very annoying ! Oh that 'll be me gone then
    28 January at 13:52 · Unlike · 1

    Tim Preston get rid of those that are definitely not extra-terrestrials
    28 January at 14:21 · Unlike · 1

    Keith Johnson Remove everyone and then wait to see who asks you to be their friend again.
    28 January at 15:24 · Unlike · 4

    Fraser Stewart Deaf Gits?
    28 January at 18:19 · Unlike · 1

    Martin A W Holmes What is your target number again...?
    28 January at 18:29 · Unlike · 1

    Fraser Stewart Is it a round figure of null?
    28 January at 19:24 · Unlike · 1

    Martin A W Holmes Just have a top ten, set everyone else to "don't show in timeline" and have a TV talent show style-y series of auditions for those highly coveted slots...
    28 January at 19:32 · Unlike · 1

    Paul Whitehouse Any bloke who owns a man-bag !
    28 January at 20:14 · Unlike · 1

    Fraser Stewart Definitely! Definitely! I don't own one. Plus anyone with a Oneise.
    28 January at 20:16 · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height I was going for 220, but I doubt I'll make it. No way will I delete and wait to be asked Keith Johnson I know all about my own popularity. Man bags is good but only a couple would apply and Onesies. But each to their own. I still have a few easy pick-offs though...
    28 January at 20:20 · Like

    Martin A W Holmes Having a top ten worked for me (although he prize seemed to be getting off the list rather than on it...)
    28 January at 20:45 · Unlike · 1

    Pauline Campbell So is it me next then Andy
    28 January at 21:10 · Unlike · 1

    Sonya Tickle Loving the possibilities x
    28 January at 21:11 · Unlike · 1

    Andy Taylor Narcissists who post 300 pics of themselves a week tend to miff me a bit...
    28 January at 21:45 · Unlike · 1

    Simon Parker People who post an endless stream of selfies.
    28 January at 21:55 · Unlike · 1

    Simon Parker People who are critical of others... no wait... strike that.
    28 January at 21:55 · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height No Pauline Campbell, you are stuck with me unless you choose not to be.
    28 January at 23:09 · Like

    Pauline Campbell Excellent I delighted to be stuck with you!!!
    28 January at 23:11 · Like

    Fraser Stewart I have only one picture of myself (taken by someone else so not a selfie) does that mean I'm still on the list?
    Yesterday at 00:17 · Like

    ReplyDelete