Monday 27 January 2014

Biebering about...

I can think of plenty of reasons to dislike Justin Bieber. Firstly he’s Canadian which, whilst not making him a bad person, does colour him a little grey and insipid.

Canadians aren’t American enough to make them Americans, not English enough to make them English, but they are just French enough to make them damned annoying - and Justin is plenty annoying.

Secondly he’s mega-rich, successful, and, according to Forbes Magazine, the ninth most powerful celebrity in the world behind Oprah at one, Lady Gaga at two, and Steven Spielberg at three.

Thirdly he’s young, just nineteen, and that’s mainly why I’m writing this.

Yes, the Biebs is a very easy young man to dislike. But at nineteen there are an awful lot of young men to which that particular trait applies. I know that at nineteen it applied to me, and maybe it still does.

So he got arrested for drag racing a Lamborghini allegedly. Okay I’ve never owned a Lamborghini, but at nineteen I was driving around in my mate’s Triumph Herald without tax, insurance, or having passed my test. At times I got that Herald up to almost sixty miles an hour – mind you I’d usually drunk five or six pints of cider first.

Okay, so he wrote in the visitor’s book at Anne Frank’s house: “Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber.” Gosh! Call the police. Actually most of that message is fine, maybe he shouldn’t have mentioned the ‘belieber’ bit, but it’s not exactly offensive. Besides I once wrote in the comments book at Valley Forge Park (where Washington fought the blooming British) “Lucky you Yanks had that German guy to help you”- well, it was.

Right, so he peed in a mop bucket and more recently in the snow by the side of the road. Well excuse me, but hands up any man out there who hasn’t taken a leak in a place that isn’t a designated place for peeing - especially when drunk. Not one hand I bet. I once locked myself out of the house and had to pee in a pot full of geraniums. Another time, stuck in traffic on the M6 for 3 hours, I had to leave my car and pee by the side of the road while three lanes of watchers applauded.

Off course, he didn’t have exactly the right paperwork for his monkey so the German authorities confiscated it. Well, we all know how the Germans like you to have the right paperwork. But at nineteen I probably wouldn’t have though about it. At nineteen you think everything is cool, even those German authority dudes. Anyway, since when did making a mistake with some forms get you into hot water? Anyone would think that he was a day late with his tax return or had refused to fill in his census.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a prat and his music sucks. He gets drunk, smokes pot, does a Banksy with walls, swears about politicians, takes risks, has sex with lots of pretty girls, rebels, and likes to look mean for the camera. Anyone recognise this? I know I do. It was me a long time ago – well apart from the ‘lots’ and ‘pretty girls’ thing. My girlfriends were usually passable (just) and didn’t rotate that much. Some would say that he’s a role model and should behave like one. But he’s nineteen and at nineteen do any of us make or want to be good role models? He’s a teenager, so why should we not expect him to act like one?

14 comments:

  1. Stephen Entwistle
    I know a Canadian that needs culling... I think she was one of the first to go though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tarana Jed Roberts on FB
    Canadians over Americans any day. At least they 'get' us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin Burke on FB
    Often wondered why the Americans are the most despised nation on the planet.... cull cull cull...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard Shore on FB
    He's a kid and therefore an arse. However, in defence of Canada I give you Neil Young, and raise you Leonard Cohen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Richard Shore does that mean he'll turn out just fine then?

      Delete
  6. Carmel Payne on FB
    You're right of course but he's still a prat !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Agreed.
      But weren't we all?

      Delete
    2. Carmel Payne
      Yes I suppose we were but I've never had a wee on the side of the road

      Delete
    3. Carmel Payne
      Lol !!
      It's all coming back to me now

      Delete
  7. Nick Jones on FB
    "Canadians are cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRxmxtyrC9I"

    ReplyDelete
  8. HERE'S TO ALL OF YOU WHO MADE THIS POSSIBLE:

    I said:
    Show Bieber some pity. The poor chap comes from a broken home and is full of angst.

    They said:

    Andrew Oberbreckling
    And he is from Canada.

    Linda Kemp
    no

    Annette Jones
    I thought you were in remission?? Twitch Twitch!

    Gary Thorley
    I am sorry but No! He has in the last year peed in a restaurant mop bucket, spat on fans, gone to 2 whorehouses in Brazil, egged his neighbours house, beaten up a DJ, tagged at least 5 buildings and charged with the destruction of public property, called a young teenage girl she is fat cow at his hotel pool for no reason, been late for his concerts but hey SWAG. Whatever that means...

    Richard Shore
    Has any child star not grown up to be completely fucked?


    Buffey Glandon
    O_o No lets not show him pity. How about we deport him or better yet why doesn't The UK keep him for awhile

    Mark McNicholas
    He's full of something, but it ain't angst!

    Fraser Stewart
    I feel strongly that he has to learn responsibility for his action and can't always blame other. I'm trying to teach my 6 years old boy that and I feel if public figures start behaving like that then I'm on a losing battle. Sorry if I sound like a Daily Mail reader.

    Andrew Height
    Tee Hee - I'm a devil aren't I?

    Andrew Height
    Yes he does Fraser Stewart but who Gary Thorley hasn't done all of those things that you mention in our teenage years? Well, apart from the concert thing that is.

    David Bell
    It's true Andrew, I remember racing my yellow Lamborghini up and down the streets of Leeds when I was 19

    David Bell
    Sorry, meant Mini Clubman with air con via holes in the floor well.

    Andrew Height
    I went to Amsterdam once and didn't even go near to Anne Frank's house.

    Fraser Stewart
    Far point. However I hope this will be a shock to Justin's system and he'll buck up. He would have my support and I hope he finds people who would give him wise support.

    David Bell
    Damn those International restraining orders.

    Andrew Height
    He's young and needs to grow up. We were all there once - actually I still need to grow up - fame and fortune must be such crap.

    Gary Thorley The simple solution is for the US to deport him and see how he does in Canada. He is a guest of the US and he does not respect the law then as a teen icon what is showing the beleibers..

    Gary Thorley
    David Cassidy wasn't ever this bad...

    Andrew Height
    Actually Garry he was and still is. It just wasn't publicised back then. The public had no appetite for their idols acting like twats and didn't want to read about it. http://www.express.co.uk/.../Downfall-of-the-daydream...

    Downfall of the daydream idol David Cassidy | Showbiz | News | Daily Express
    www.express.co.uk
    POLICE mugshots are rarely flattering but the former pop idol who once sent millions of teenage hearts fluttering is almost unrecognisable.

    Paul Eddison
    We should all remember that Justin is someone's daughter - let's not be too critical of her.

    ReplyDelete