Thursday 9 January 2014

Selfie with wooden mustache…

Well, I eventually gave in and just after Christmas I shaved away my facial hair. It didn’t take as long as I had expected and I didn’t even bother to stop midway and ‘selfie’ myself with an Adolph (a toothbrush moustache as sported by Adolph Hitler), or if you prefer a Charlie (a toothbrush moustache as sported by Charlie Chaplin).

‘Selfie’, (a type of self-portrait photograph, typically taken with a hand-held digital camera or camera phone). Where do these words come from? Mind you it is fairly descriptive and certainly buzzworthy (worthy of enthusiastic popular attention), even if it does make me squee (a noise primarily made by an over excited fan-girl) - hence this post.

Shaving off my hairbits (bits of facial hair) seems to have affected my diction though. My vocab (vocabulary: the words used by an individual to communicate with other individuals or groups of individuals) is all over the place. Perhaps I don’t get enough me time (the time a person has to himself or herself, in which to do something for his or her own enjoyment). Maybe a digital detox (a period of time in which an individual refrains from using electronic devices such as smartphones or computers to reduce perceived stress) is in order? I make no apols (apologies: abbreviation) though; there isn’t an emoji (a small digital image or icon used to express an idea or emotion in electronic communications) L that can express how words like twerk (an informal dance to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving hip movements and a low, squatting stance) make me twee (something that is sweet, almost to the point of being sickeningly so). They really make me want to vom (vomit: a shortening rather than an abbreviation)

Srsly (seriously: abbreviation usually used in txtspeak (the abbreviated words used when texting in order to shorten message length)), I’m not trying to pull anyone’s MPL (acronym: modular prosthetic limb) but currently it’s all a bit of an omnishambles (a situation that has been totally mismanaged, characterised by a string of blunders and miscalculations). Perhaps I need a vacay (a holiday or vacation: a shortening, not an abbreviation).

So, putting last quarter's new word additions to the Oxford  English Dictionary to one side, no more mustache and no more gimp beard. Lucky I found myself a woodtache falsie (a wooden mustache).

6 comments:

  1. Richard Shore on FB
    None of that explains why you are balancing a dog turd on your lip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      It isn't balanced Rick. It is rowing there. But yes, I take your point. I just liked the picture.

      Delete
    2. Richard Shore
      I can understand why

      Delete
  2. Fraser Stewart on FB
    You look like you of those character from the Czech Republic around WW1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Or maybe a character from a Terry Pratchett novel Fraser?

      Delete
  3. Neil Barrett Showing off with a piece of turd is no way to attract new Facebook friends!


    Nick Jones I was going to say the same thing.


    Nick Jones Although my version was probably less eloquent.


    Nick Jones i.e. "Shitface".


    Maxine Noble Back to normal !!!!!


    Neil Barrett what's he up too? Shit nose!


    Andrew Height It won't work. My bark is worse than my bite!

    ReplyDelete