Wednesday 22 January 2014

Jumping ship...

It seems that someone jumped ship last night.
"Jamaica?"
"No, he or she went of her own accord."
I’m not sure which Facebook friend it was, but that’s one more down without the need to cull.

Of course, it’s fair enough and I can see the attraction in getting out. Jumping ship must be such a liberating experience. One minute you have duties, tasks, and responsibilities. The next you are either in the water swimming like hell or in an open boat madly searching for that desert island you’ve always dreamed of - unless of course you can’t row or swim.

But enough of Davy Jones, his locker, and watery graves.

Anyway, I was carefully examining my friend list looking for the absconder when I found that a number of friends have jumped the Facebook ship altogether and closed their accounts. I hadn’t noticed this before, but apparently they appear in my friends list but they aren’t really there. I wonder where they’ve gone? Are they sunning themselves under a palm tree on some island paradise where the only form of technology is two half-coconuts and a piece of string, or did they go for a swim and then decide to never get out of the water?

As I said: I understand. Sometimes I feel like jumping Good Ship Facebook too.

Of course my track record at jumping ship isn’t very good. I usually stay aboard even when the ship is sinking. Jobs, relationships, lost hopes, failed enterprises – I find it so hard to jump and save myself that usually I have to be pushed; and pushed pretty hard at that. I guess I’m a clinger. Clinging to things I no longer want or, even worse, that no longer want me. Yes, I’d be there on the upturned cello long after the ship had gone down looking for the rest of the orchestra so that we could get the band back together.

Letting go is so hard. That’s why I find unfriending so difficult. I don’t like completely giving up on anyone, even the people who have closed their accounts, the ones who haven’t posted for years, even the friends that have died.

It poses the question: ‘Why don’t I leave them alone?’ After all they aren’t doing any harm are they?

Pipe me aboard chaps.

15 comments:

  1. Linda Kemp on FB
    nice one Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue Mcnally on FB
    my grandad did in the nordic fyords when his ship was torpedoed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim Preston on FB
    From the root poison of Ignorance springs forth the poisons of Attachment to things, situations or persons or Aversion from things situations or persons. Either reaction is a mistake and causes further suffering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Bloomin heck Tim, I'll have some of whatever you are snorting.

      Delete
  4. Alan Shorrock on FB
    I'm enjoying this game of FB Russian roulette. .. Bring it on. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicola Menzies on FB
    I've stopped trying to determine who leaves my list!! Takes too many of my brain cells!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fraser Stewart on FB
    Still here

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still on the cull and it just got easier.

    Marisa Kismul and Nicola Moore like this.

    Neil Barrett
    Hope that's not me?

    Barbara Balding
    oh no!

    Kingsley Roberts
    Oh well, it's your choice. Fuck me off and I'm gone!! No refund on return!!

    Kathryn Salthouse
    Your what's known a a serial culler now! x

    Buffey Glandon
    What did u make it down to, I cleaned house and am down to 126....yeah I know weird number, and it is driving my OCD nuts. Lol.

    Andrew Height
    Quite right Kingsley. That's the way I feel about things too. It isn't going to be you anytime soon though.

    Fraser Stewart
    Nah…you're really a gentleman. I went through a stage like that and I don't regret it. I've got a good group of people with enough communication going on. I felt I didn't need an estimated 11 billion friends…10 will do.

    Alan Shorrock
    Have I gone yet?

    Fraser Stewart
    Obviously not if I'm reading you.

    Alan Shorrock
    Oh the irony!

    Andrew Height
    Frankie Howard Alan?

    Alan Shorrock
    Indeed.

    Andy Taylor
    I've been there Andi! You have my moral support...

    Alan Shorrock
    You have my surgical support. .. and I'd like it back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick Jennings on FB
    like the 'track record' stuff, rings loud bells but not necessarily alarm bells! Just a conscious decision when to call it a day and some of us persevere, doesnt mean the lesson's not learned, just the choice we make's an educated one (though not always the right one )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have so many on my list that I can't keep track. And this is where I would be interested in your thoughts. Yesterday a "friend" posted a status, to which I responded, he then replied again, and so on. It appears that something I said caused offence, maybe I am just argumentative, anyway, he sent me a messge saying he didn't want it to become an argument( didn't know it was), I apologised for messing up his post albeit unwittingly, and then he deleted me as a friend. Feel like I have been kicked in the teeth and to cap it all have just returned from dentist where I require 4 fillings. Not happy. I am in debate about the whole personal FB thing, business good idea, friendship, not..... thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I think that some people are too easily offended and outraged. Without debate Facebook is just a vehicle for all the nothing that fills people's lives. It's a good place to keep in touch, a good place to share ideas. Most people don't but then that's probably because: a) they are scared of showing themselves b) have nothing to say or show. Don't worry one lost Facebook friend here or there is maybe careless but not a crime. I'm culling to really just tidy up loose ends. Nobody that I interact with is going to go - even if they don't agree with me. It hurts when someone dumps you though. My father unfriended me after one of his scenes. Worse still he then went on to unfriend my daughter who wasn't even involved. I can only assume that some people use unfriending as a punishment.
      Well **** them.
      http://akh-wonderfullife.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/kitten-roulette.html

      PS - I deleted previous comment because it had spelling errors!

      Delete
    3. Thanks AKH.. Appreciate your time. As you say it is their loss and compared to your situation, hardly worthy of comment. What worries me is this chap was in the US army, hope he was a little more controlled with a gun in his hand but somehow. I doubt it. Funny how I converse with you and don't even know you. The power of only connect.

      Delete
    4. Michelle, if you read my blog then you know me ;-0

      Delete