Thursday 23 January 2014

Tupperware times...

Tupperware, what was all the excitement about? After all, would you go to a party to buy empty plastic containers? Rooms full of over excited women sipping sweet and warm Spanish white gazing longingly at pastel coloured plastic bowls and paying ridiculous prices for pretty much the same thing that Indian takeaways are delivered in these days.

Back in the seventies I had a girlfriend whose mum had the biggest collection of Tupperware you can imagine. She had everything: small containers, large containers, plates, bowls, tumblers, jugs, lemon squeezers, jelly moulds, sandwich boxes, a salt and pepper set, even a tall, slim, cereal container with a flip-open lid and a pourer. She had them in every washed-out insipid colour you can imagine from pink to blue, mint green to yellow, and an unhealthy looking not-quite-white.

My girlfriend’s mum would proudly display her Tupperware on every available shelf and surface in her dark-brown Hessian fronted kitchen cupboards. Containers for flour, coffee, tea, sugar, rice, biscuits, and salt sat in neat lines at the back of her cream tiled work-surfaces next to her Tupperware breadbin. Her freezer was full with Tupperware containers, from tiny to tub-size, all neatly labelled with contents and date and filled with the frozen watery vegetables that her husband grew on his all too-regimented allotment.

She was the Queen of Tupperware, all horn-rimmed glasses, tweed skirt, high-permed not-quite-a-beehive rinsed brown hair and a mouth so thin you’d have struggled to slip a sheet of greaseproof paper between her lips. She spent her mornings cooking tasteless meals to a strict budget and cleaning, her afternoons reading second-rate romance novels, and her evenings (if she was very lucky) at Tupperware parties at one of her identical neighbour’s houses.

Barbara and Brian Grace, or ‘Mr and Mrs respectable average’ as I used to call them. Tupperware people leading Tupperware lives in a Tupperware world. I didn’t like them and they didn’t like me. In retrospect it was all a little bit too ‘Stepford Wives’. Long, long ago now, of course.

I had thought Tupperware a thing of the past, long gone like smoking in the office, hot pants, the Rubik’s cube, and Ira Levin. Not so, it’s still out there, doing well, and on sale in over 100 countries.

Party anyone?

16 comments:

  1. There's an inspired episode of "Eerie, Indiana" where people sleep in Tupperware beds to keep themselves "youthful…"

    Meanwhile… Is this a return for your own TupperwareWorld obsession…? I seem to recall you've had musings upon this before… Go on… Admit it… You're the President of The TupperWare Collectors Club, aren't you…?

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Hatton on FB
    Just let me know when and where?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    My mum ran tupperware parties to earn some extra cash. She loved it. I remember the nibbles she used to serve....half a boiled egg, topped with mayo and a dash of paprika!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil Ogden on FB
    Not much different to the Jamie Oliver parties these days?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie Patzuk on FB
    And don't forget the games . . . to win mini versions of the regular items. I think it was a cult!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael Snow on FB
    If you throw Tupperware, I think it just bounces back! Could be fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Richard Shore on FB
    In our house, Tupperware is what you put leftovers in 2 weeks before throwing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paula Braham on FB
    I remember years ago mum having a Tupperware party and us kids had to stay in the garden with the lady's kids - I only remember they had Wellington boots on in the summer but I must admit my cupboards used to be full of the stuff minus the lids lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mel Mackuin on FB
    I remember my Mum holding these parties. As a kid looking in I remember thinking cardboard boxes could be on there way out but then Amazon came along...and you can get your Tupperware in cardboard boxes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara Balding on FB
    Yes Andi, I remembered these parties, went to quite a lot of them, but never bought anything. Only went for the gossip, wine and food, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrew Height on FB
    I seem to remember that we had too many Tupperware spachelors as reminders of my mother's visits to Tupperware parties

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neil Barrett on FB with share:
    I remember my Mum having Tupperware Parties, very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Were her friends fit?

      Neil Barrett
      All Dolly Birds

      Andrew Height
      Did they like plastic?

      Neil Barrett
      As long it came in seal tight containers and pastel colours .But get the Advocaat out it could be a different matter.

      Neil Barrett
      CHEERS!
      Neil Barrett's photo.

      Andrew Height
      Warninks

      Delete
  13. Kingsley Roberts on FB
    Australia being so far behind the rest of the world still sells and holds Tupperware parties. Now I wonder if I was to throw one would people attend 😗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      They still happen here as well. Throw one. If you get that lot in the picture let me know and I'll be around. Well, you would wouldn't you?

      Delete