Monday 13 January 2014

Rick O'Lection and why I’m not a stand-up…

I’ve always wondered what it’s like to get up on stage and try to make people laugh. I think that stand-up comedians must be either very confident, totally crazy, or both. Sometimes when I’m unable to sleep at night, instead of thinking of islands from A-Z, I make up stand-up routines. I even have a stand-up persona – he’s called Rick O’Lection.

Poor Rick suffers from Alzheimer’s. I did consider a transvestite stand-up persona but then I remembered that Eddie Izzard had already cornered that particular mirth market. Besides, I wouldn’t be able to guarantee that all of my gigs - if I got any - would always take place on a Wednesday night whilst my wife was out at Zumba. It did cross my mind that an Alzheimer afflicted comedian might not be very PC. But then if you can’t laugh at disability, what can you laugh at? After all it is 1976… isn’t it?

Sorry, there I go slipping into Rick early again.

In my mind’s act Rick bumbles onto the stage looking lost – all cloth cap and duster. He approaches the stage and speaks into the microphone:

‘I’ve been Rick O’Lection and you’ve been a great audience. Thank you and goodnight!’

He bows and then lifts his head (a puzzled look passes across his face):

‘No that isn’t right. Good evening plumbers, I’m Rick O’Lection and I’m from Dublin, but I’ve forgotten how to do a French accent. Anyone in the audience got a dog? You know those furry things with long ears and carrots. My dogs got no eyes. No eyes? How does he smell? It doesn’t matter he can’t hear you anyway…

I must ask Pete, he’s got one…

Is anyone in the audience married? No? Well, it’s only a piece of potpourri and who wants to live in an installation anyway? My wife Jane… Janet… Jackie? No, she’s a blonde and Jackies a brun… dark-haired. My wife Lady Gaga is going to Jamaica. Holiday I think … or was it with her job? The dogs not going. Did I mention he’s got no eyes? That’s why he crossed the road I think…Pete’ll know…I’m sure it was in the bread bin with the goldfish…

Why was the stick brown and sticky? Because it was a brown stick. No, not Lady Gaga, Judith Chalmers. It was a stick.

Knock, knock.
Knock, knock.
Knock, knock.
I must be out.

Thanks Luton, or Carlisle, or maybe Macclesfield? I can’t remember where I put my ticket or I’d check. I must have put it somewhere. How much was it for? Will cash do instead? I probably left it at the bank and I haven’t a pen even if I could write you one. Anyway, you’ve been a great ambulance and I hope you enjoy your burger…

My name’s been… well whatever and now I’m going for a lie down. All this standing up has made me torrid. Good evening playmates. Oh yes… I’ve been Rick O’Lection, from Dubai although I’ve forgotten how to do a Spanish accent, and you’ve been a thingummy.. you know, a group of people watching something. Do you want fries with that?’

Poor old Rick. Sometimes I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.


13 comments:

  1. Maggie Patzuk on FB
    Now I'm frightened - that photo looks like John Wayne Gacy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Well, what's a mass murderer or two amongst friends Maggie?

      Delete
  2. Andy B D Bickerdike on FB
    I like the knock knock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      What knock knock Andy B D Bickerdike?

      Delete
    2. Andy B D Bickerdike
      Knock knock knock I must be out.

      Delete
    3. Andrew Height
      I rang the bell as well Andy. I still wasn't in.

      Delete
    4. Andy B D Bickerdike
      Next time shout through the letter box.. That may rouse you.

      Delete
    5. Andrew Height
      I tried that Andy. I didn't reply - the standoffish git.

      Delete
  3. Catherine Halls-Jukes on FB
    It's a terrible illness, and sometimes life with my mum was just like that. ..thank goodness for a sense of humour that got us through. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

      Andrew Height I rang the bell as well Andy. I still wasn't in.
      13 hours ago · Like · 1

      Andrew Height
      Yes Catherine Halls-Jukes it is. We have somebody close who seems like they might be going there. You are right, if you don't smile then the only avenue open is despair.

      Delete
  4. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    Well I laughed and I think others will do the same. No Alzheimers isn't funny and close to home at the moment but we British are good at creating comedy out of tragedy.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    10 years mum suffered with it, but we kept laughing.... It's better than the alternative, and mum was a happy person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alzheimer's isn't funny. But so many comedians with disability are outing the humour in their afflictions that I wonder how long it will be.

    ReplyDelete