Sunday 11 January 2015

Not the first sign of spring...

I won't say that it's the first sign of spring, not just yet at least, I'm sure that winter still has a lot more to throw at us. But one of my snowdrops, just one, is starting to come into flower and another doesn't look to be far behind.

I'm growing them in a old clay pot outdoors and of the ten bulbs I planted only three so far have shown any signs of coming up, this one quite a bit ahead of the rest.

I wonder why that is? Just what is it that makes one bulb break through whilst another stays asleep in the ground?

I have a single daffodil too that seems to be in something of a hurry for spring. I can just see the bud forming, yellow petals beneath the shield of green, another early bird who I hope doesn't catch the worm - or at least the slug.

No, it isn't spring yet. But things are beginning to move in the garden. It won't be long before I'm seized by that dratted gardening bug all over again and what then?

17 comments:

  1. Sharon Taylor on FB
    then the fun begins x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Yes it does Sharon.

      Delete
    2. Andrew Height
      The old pot I'm growing it in is one of Grandad's. The only one I have.1

      Delete
    3. Sharon Taylor
      How great, I seem to remember all of his old pots being kept in one of the old pig stys! I still love images of masses of terracotta pots all piled up x

      Delete
    4. Andrew Height
      Yes. I think this one came from his greenhouse. It held a cactus in it until a few years ago when sadly it died.

      Delete
    5. Sharon Taylor
      he liked his cacti :O)

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    7. Andrew Height
      He did Sharon and I had one for years. As I said though it died. I do still have some of his red hot pokers in a pot in Wales..

      Delete
    8. Sharon Taylor
      How funny because I have some of his red hot pokers and his mint, I love the fact that the plants are migrating around the country! My Mum sent the mint in the post and it has done very well in a pot :O)

      Delete
  2. Gloria Brown
    I love snow drops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey Messenger
    I have a daffodil in bud to,,,,lovely to see snowdrops,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Won't be long before they are up everywhere Lindsey. I'm looking forward to the colour.

      Delete
    2. Lindsey Messenger
      Oh yes me to.... Love the first spring flowers

      Delete
  4. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    Inspiring me to get my catalogue order in! Now what veggies this year???? The flower will be agapanthus white mmmm

    ReplyDelete