Tuesday 6 December 2011

Tales from the glass painters table - old ladies, Frodo and Alice....

Well I did say that I could do anything on glass and trust an old lady to put me to the test.

"Could you paint my daughter's cats on two paperweights? You did tell me last week that you could do anything?' She said, taking out two photographs from her huge, black handbag.

"Er, yes." I said because I had.

" See you next week then." She replied breezily, assuming that a week was long enough for me to do such a simple task regardless of how my order book was looking.

Well I put it off for as long as I could but last night had to bite the bullet and get on with it. After all, she's coming to collect tomorrow.

I hadn't reckoned on the size of the photographs and I forgot that painting on a convex surface is actually quite hard. By the time I finished my eye-hand coordination was finished as well, and my visual logical tracking system was buggered.

I'm almost quite happy with them - Frodo and Alice - not perfect, but good enough I think. Or at least I hope so. You know what old ladies can be like.

16 comments:

  1. Beware old ladies bearing cat photos.

    In one of my previous incarnations, I once spent an entire weekend doing a pencil drawing of someone's recently deceased pet cat based on a very blurry couple of photographs only to have it rejected for not catching that "special" look that it had had in its eye.

    Mind you, I'm sure you're much better at giving the people what they want than I ever was, and, back then, I still had much to learn about what "tricks of the trade" you can use to tweak a drawing to make it more appealing.

    I'm sure she's going to love them. M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope so Martin. But you are right some people are so hard to please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma Cholmondeley commented on Facebook:
    "They are purrrrrrrfect.....just lovely."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear AKH,
    May I order a large angel? Let me know where I need to end the cheque. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle

    £12.00 they are almost 9 inches tall (230mm) and Postage and Packaging is £3.50.

    Which colour would you like Pink or Yellow collar and cuffs?

    If you want one send me your address. I am at:

    10 Willowtree Road,
    Hale,
    Cheshire
    WA14 2EG

    Good to know that you are still out there.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey Messenger on Facebook x2:
    they look great, was the old lady happy with them... ps at watch age do ladies become old??????!!!!!!!

    ooops that should be what not watch.... mmmm maybe thats a sign of getting old!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. David Bell on facebook:
    At least she didn't have the actual cats in her handbag

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pink methinks.
    Michele Osborne
    Arran
    Torfoot Steading
    Drumclog
    Strathaven
    ML10 6QG

    And the cheque will be in the post tomorrow. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will post this out ASAP. I hope that you like it Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a cat called Frodo on our road - who would have thought that Frodo would become a popular name for cats?
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  11. How strange Joan. My mother's name was Frodo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Posted first class today Michelle. Hop that you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Michelle. I feel honoured that you chose my work to remember. Makes me feel very special.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Astonished that you could actually read my scrawl.
    She arrived today and looks absolutely splendid.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another request. Is it too late to ask you to prep four of the small snowmen for delivery to the an address is Northenden? And if so how much? Talk about late shopping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. New email has just been sent - sorry.

    ReplyDelete