Sunday 25 December 2011

Tin cans...

So, Christmas Day.

Up and showered by nine, mid morning champagne, present opening, early afternoon dinner, too much wine, not enough air, and the house far too warm with the heating cranked up to full.

I made a tin can telephone out of two old coffee cans and a length of string then Holly and I played and whispered to each other in the hallway for a while, our words bouncing along the white twine, echoing on our ears.

“Merry Christmas.”
“Merry Christmas.”
“Merry had a little lamb its fleece was white as snow.”

No snow this year though, just drizzly rain.

Evening now and, trying to shake off the need to doze, I park myself in the kitchen and drink a coffee. Jack Daniels later with his good friend Pepsi, but at this moment I need some caffeine and perhaps a glass of sparkling water.

And all day the drizzly rain in my mind falling on my thoughts and threatening to dampen them. Communication is such a hard thing and sometimes there just aren’t enough tin cans to go around, and anyway I wouldn’t be able to tie the string – my fingers might fail me yet again.

Not everyone though - still some words along the strings when really I'm not sure that I deserve them. I take them anyway and thanks - you have no idea just what they mean to me.

"Its fleece was white as snow.”

Time to light the fire, get a good blaze going. That will chase away this drizzle, but I may leave a candle lit. Who knows?

Merry Christmas.


2 comments:

  1. Emma Cholmondeley on Facebook:
    ‎:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Della Jayne Roberts on Facebook:
    ♥ Thinking of you x :0)

    ReplyDelete