Thursday 15 December 2011

Cold, hearts, and the aurora borealis…

A few years back, when it seemed like nothing could stop me, we all three went to Lapland to visit Father Christmas.

Gaynor’s fortieth birthday treat, a magical day Holly, and the realisation of a boyhood dream for me.

It was probably the most extravagant thing I’ve ever done; we were up at five, into our thermal underwear, taxied to the airport and flown across the North Sea to snowy Lapland for the day.

The snow at Kittila airport was unbelievable, deep and thick and even as the carol goes, we could feel the cold as we walked to the changing area to get kitted up in our snowsuits and boots. Layer after layer we pulled on. Holly in a bright red quilted suit and Gaynor in blue. Mine was black I think.

Then off in a snow-chained coach for the adventure of a lifetime.

In just a few hours we managed to squeeze in Reindeer sleighing, tobogganing, snowball fighting, skidoo racing, we even built a snowman. Then as evening came it was off to Santa’s chalet to meet the man himself.

I remember being a little disappointed when we got there. The place looked like just any other farm. But then I noticed the line of Christmas trees all aglow with lights, and the stables where we found Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, and Blitzen, carefully munching on hay.

What was I expecting? Disneyland? This was Santa’s home. It was real. It had to be practical.

The chalet itself was very cosy, log walls and chintz, roaring fires and paintings of elves on the walls. Santa sat in a room just off the hallway, so we waited for out turn to see the great man. At last we were ushered in and Holly told the red-suited figure what she wanted for Christmas, then we said goodbye and were ushered out.

Not even time for me to tell him what I wanted or to ask him how come I’d never got that Lone Ranger gun belt with the two pearl handled pistols and twenty silver bullets – and no photographer to take a picture, how aptly strange.

Back on the plane and in the air I caught a glimpse of the Northern Lights high in the sky in the distance. The aurora borealis - flashing its green as it waved me goodbye.

The dream was over - almost as if it had never taken place. Cold, hearts, and the aurora borealis…wishes to ashes.

And no photograph.

10 comments:

  1. Liz Shore commented on Facebook:
    Liz wrote: "Sounds both magical and surreal."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Liz - Fantastic too, a sparkling gem of a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 12 hours ago · Like

    Vicky Sutcliffe on Facebook:
    Omg capped off with a glimpse of the northern lights! My dream to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Bell pn Facebook:
    Great memory

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fleeting, but never to be forgotten glimpse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to see this one day. Magical I imagine.

    Completely unrelated but I put this on an earlier post and you may not have checked back:
    Another request. Is it too late to ask you to prep four of the small snowmen for delivery to an address is Northenden? And if so how much? Talk about late shopping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsey Messenger on Facebook:
    sounds truely amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry Michelle, I have sold all my snowmen and can't get any more. I do have a few small angels left though at £8.00 each. They are like yours but about six inches high. sorry.

    If you'd like some mail me at a.height@hot
    mail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. aheight@hotmail.co.uk - sorry

    ReplyDelete
  10. That explains your non reply then. Will resend.

    ReplyDelete