Friday 21 March 2014

Coffee and omelette…

Looks like Eostre, the ancient Saxon goddess of new beginnings and fertility who lent her name to Easter, decided to turn up a day late this year. But that didn’t bother me as I sipped my coffee and tucked into my spring onion and cheese omelette this morning. It was a bit chilly in my backyard, but there was sunshine enough and, although I didn’t have any traditional hares or dandelion and burdock, the eggs and spring onions in my omelette seemed a fitting tribute to the maiden of spring, the egg queen.

Some days I feel more real than others and today was one of those days. There was a touch of the insubstantial about me when I awoke and I’m not at all sure that I was totally solid in the mirror as I shaved. I was half invisible as I stepped outside. The coffee helped though, the sunshine too, and I soon began to feel as if I belonged in this world. Well, it is the time of the vernal equinox or thereabouts, a time of change and transition from one state to the next.

Yesterday the sun rose exactly in the east travelling through the sky for twelve hours before setting precisely in the west, Mexicans gathered at the Temple of the Seven Dolls, Druids flocked to Stonehenge, in the southern hemisphere people began their winter, just as we are about to come out of ours, and I celebrated the feast of Eostre with eggs and coffee in the sunshine.   

In a few days the clocks will change, the evenings will become longer and lighter, and winter will be gone as spring arrives.

Bring it on.


15 comments:

  1. Alison Kirkham Eaton on FB
    You need some milk in your coffee and no spring onions in your omelette. Other than that sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda Kemp on FB
    is it really the equinox today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Height
    Yesterday, or so Google tells me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim Preston on FB
    is it not the semiquinox half way between the summer and winter noxes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fraser Stewart on FB
    It's raining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mel Mackuin on FB
    Yep its raining so it must be spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara Balding on FB
    sun shining here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fraser Stewart on FB
    Sun was shining but wind approaching 300kph.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cloe Fyne on FB
    I've had an omlette for my tea! Mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew Height
    I've nicked your out of focus look Mr Richard Shore

    ReplyDelete
  11. Richard Shore on FB
    The difference is, that when I do it I occasionally mean it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andrew Height
    How very dare you Richard Shore. I'll have you know that I invented intentional fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fraser Stewart on FB
    You're very optimistic. If I ha my breakfast outside it will be flying over the North Sea. Very wondy here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fraser Stewart on FB
    Sorry….very windy here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andrew Height
    I thought you were doing it in a Scottish accent Fraser.

    ReplyDelete